Mucus in stools?

I have a 8 month old Siberian Husky that has recently been having runny stools and it contains mucus in it. I did recently switched his puppy chow from Purina Puppy Chow to Purina Pro-Plan Puppy chow, I mixed the remaining of his original food with the Pro-Plan. At first he was still having solid stools then recently it's become soft, one time i'll take him outside and it seems like the stools are starting to harden up then the next it has a pudding like texture. I started feeding him purely Purina Pro-Plan Puppy Chow on Sunday. I made the blend/switch about a week ago. This problem occurred about 1-2 days ago, I am not sure if it's from the switch of foods or maybe something else. Could raw-hides cause a mucus like substance in stools? My Siberian Husky loves raw hides and when I usually bring him a new bone to chew on he will consistently chew on it till there is a knot and barely a shaft left of the bone left over then he stops messing with it a few days... This happens every 3-4 weeks, I de-worm him monthly with HXC Sentry Pro, I haven't noticed any blood in his stools. He is still active and playful, I just can't figure out why this happens near on a monthly occasion. Some part of me wants me to believe its the excess of rawhide he chews/eats in one sitting that builds up in his stomach then comes out? He had his parvo, rabies, and bordetalla vaccinations on the 2nd of this month but I don't think any of that would be causing it this late into the month.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally have no idea, I would recommend maybe do a fecal exam w/a vet?...but I did find two sites maybe they can be of some help

Usually, you need not worry about seeing a small amount of mucus in your pet's stool. Dog stool normally contains some mucus -- a slime-like substance made by the intestines to keep the lining of the colon lubricated and moist.

But if you notice an excessive amount of mucus in the stool, or if it is accompanied with blood or a radical change in your dog's bowel movements, seek immediate veterinary medical attention. He or she will be better able to identify the underlying cause and recommend a proper course of treatment. Common causes include:

If your pet has mucus in their stools, this may be an indication of irritation in

the stomach and large intestine. Dogs and cats are prone to digestive upsets

which causes much discomfort.

Take your pet to the vet if this problem does not clear up after a few days. In the

meantime give your furry friend’s stomach a rest by withholding food for 24 hours.

Thereafter, feed him a bland diet which contains cooked rice with chicken or meat

to soothe the stomach lining.

Gradually return him to a normal diet. However, if mucus in stools persists, your

vet will take a stool sample and perform tests to check for viruses and

bacteria.

What Causes Mucus in Stools?

Mucus in stools may occur as a result of a number of factors ranging from eating

unusual things like rotten or spoilt food, garbage or road kill, overeating,

food allergies, ingesting poisons and chemicals as sudden changes in diet. It may

also be due to parasitic infections such as hookworm, whipworm, roundworm or

tapeworm, diarrhea, colitis, parvo or corona virus.

I personally have no idea, I would recommend maybe do a fecal exam w/a vet?...but I did find two sites maybe they can be of some help

Usually, you need not worry about seeing a small amount of mucus in your pet's stool. Dog stool normally contains some mucus -- a slime-like substance made by the intestines to keep the lining of the colon lubricated and moist.

But if you notice an excessive amount of mucus in the stool, or if it is accompanied with blood or a radical change in your dog's bowel movements, seek immediate veterinary medical attention. He or she will be better able to identify the underlying cause and recommend a proper course of treatment. Common causes include:

If your pet has mucus in their stools, this may be an indication of irritation in

the stomach and large intestine. Dogs and cats are prone to digestive upsets

which causes much discomfort.

Take your pet to the vet if this problem does not clear up after a few days. In the

meantime give your furry friend’s stomach a rest by withholding food for 24 hours.

Thereafter, feed him a bland diet which contains cooked rice with chicken or meat

to soothe the stomach lining.

Gradually return him to a normal diet. However, if mucus in stools persists, your

vet will take a stool sample and perform tests to check for viruses and

bacteria.

What Causes Mucus in Stools?

Mucus in stools may occur as a result of a number of factors ranging from eating

unusual things like rotten or spoilt food, garbage or road kill, overeating,

food allergies, ingesting poisons and chemicals as sudden changes in diet. It may

also be due to parasitic infections such as hookworm, whipworm, roundworm or

tapeworm, diarrhea, colitis, parvo or corona virus.

Thanks for the information. Approximately how much should I be feeding him per day? We've been giving him 1.5 cups x 2 daily + a treat each time he has successfully alerted me that he needs to go outside to handle his business, he gets anywhere from 4-6 of these per day.(part of his house training), is this too much and this may be causing the stomach irritation which is making his stools runny every few weeks because of the overload of feeding? He isn't overweight or anything, maybe a little thicker then most husky's I see. How often should he be having bowel movements on a daily basis?

It might be that Purina isn't the best food for dogs. It usually contains a lot of corn and fillers. www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a great site to learn more about dog food. We feed Lyra Taste of the Wild, which is an all-life stages food. It costs about the same as some of the more well-known dog foods, like Purina and Science Diet, that are actually terrible for dogs.

That could be the reason, as for how much to feed ..with that brand food I'm not sure, imo its not the best food for a dog... my Loki gets about 3/4 a cup twice a day so his daily intake is like a cup and a half - two cups but he's on solid gold dog food.

Or it could also be an allergic reaction to an ingredient in the food.

I'm curious, at that age why are you still de-worming him? does he show signs of worms? idk much about the deworming stuff, I know that lokis breeders vet did the inital dewormings when he was little and then all his fecal exams have came back clean so our vet said he was good on the deworming (we do regular exams every few months just what the vet likes to do)

I thought that was only when you find worms / when they are young (could be wrong)

That could be the reason, as for how much to feed ..with that brand food I'm not sure, imo its not the best food for a dog... my Loki gets about 3/4 a cup twice a day so his daily intake is like a cup and a half - two cups but he's on solid gold dog food.

Or it could also be an allergic reaction to an ingredient in the food.

I'm curious, at that age why are you still de-worming him? does he show signs of worms? idk much about the deworming stuff, I know that lokis breeders vet did the inital dewormings when he was little and then all his fecal exams have came back clean so our vet said he was good on the deworming (we do regular exams every few months just what the vet likes to do)

I thought that was only when you find worms / when they are young (could be wrong)

I was told that the dog must be de-wormed monthly, I was never told at what age he should not need to be de-wormed. I haven't seen signs of worms but I do it as a precautionary step. At what age does he not need to be de-wormed?

I'd ask a vet, by the time we got loki at 12 weeks he no longer needed to be de-wormed his exams all came back clean multiple times ( he gets regular fecal exams to check).....but i could be wrong, like i said not really familiar with the de-worming except for what I've been told by the vet who said he was fine.

Did the vet tell you? I was under the assumption that you only had to do that when they are puppies, if a vet tells you, or if you see worms.....but again i could be wrong

I'd ask a vet, by the time we got loki at 12 weeks he no longer needed to be de-wormed his exams all came back clean multiple times ( he gets regular fecal exams to check).....but i could be wrong, like i said not really familiar with the de-worming except for what I've been told by the vet who said he was fine.

Did the vet tell you? I was under the assumption that you only had to do that when they are puppies, if a vet tells you, or if you see worms.....but again i could be wrong

I'll check with my vet when I can. I also discovered that the treats i've been giving him, the first ingredient is ground whole wheat. Doing some research I see that canine's diet doesn't include carbohydrates at all. So I will be cutting out the treats and try to find a replacement. Anyone have recommendations on a new puppy chow and dog treat combination? I am thinking of Solid Gold Wolf Cub Puppy Chow but not too sure on a healthy treat.

I'll check with my vet when I can. I also discovered that the treats i've been giving him, the first ingredient is ground whole wheat. Doing some research I see that canine's diet doesn't include carbohydrates at all. So I will be cutting out the treats and try to find a replacement. Anyone have recommendations on a new puppy chow and dog treat combination? I am thinking of Solid Gold Wolf Cub Puppy Chow but not too sure on a healthy treat.

btw I think I'm the only one on here that uses solid gold most that feed kibble feed TOTW. According to solid gold who I have emailed thats the line they suggest for huskies from what they carry (the wolf cub/ wolf king)

Had a huge problem with loose gooey stools when we first brought Andy home, and he was hardly eating and we realized not only did he not like the food (and he looked very thin) but I learned from a woman that rescues large northern breeds that Huskies have very sensitive tummies. I went back to my old standby that I raised all three of our other dogs on (they are all gone now) and that is Iams. We've had grande luck with them now and both are eating it. As far as how much you are feeding him, Huskies don't seem to need nearly as much as other breeds due to how they can adjust their metabolism. Look at the bag and see what it recommends as well as asking your vet. Andy and Jackson were both getting more than 3 cups a day and their stools remained more loose. They get about 2 or 2-1/2 total a day and don't seem to be worse for wear. If Andy is hungry he talks to me and walks me over to his bowl when I ask what he wants. Yes, I know, he's a genius!!! And so darned cute. Good luck. All good advice on here, but each dog is an individual and to be sure, give your vet a ring! [ATTACH]6493.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6494.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6495.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-2509-13585957071699_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585957072218_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13585957072736_thumb.jpg

yes the treats would definately be causing upset stomach as would the constant worming if its drontal or a similar de worming medication. They disrupt the lining of the intestines which is what kills off the worms but i bet this is also why your getting mucus in the stools.

Ive also had mucus on the stools when changing over from kibble to raw food so the raw hides might also be causing this.

I would recommend changing over to a more suitable dog food that has a higher protein content or a raw/barf diet if you have the time.

I wouldn't worry 2 much, mine occasionally get it.

Is it right that it kinda looks like the poo is in a muscus shell ? Thats wot it looks like when mine get it.

If u r worried tho just get a check up at the vets but as i said it happens now n then with mine n they r fine.

Yes this is exactly how it looks, loose stool in a mucus type shelling around it.

Also can anyone recommend a good heartworm preventive? I haven't got a prescription for heartworm medication for Sebastian just yet because I work a full time job and by the time I am off from work all the vet offices are normally closed. Is there a way to get a heartworm preventive without a prescription or is that near impossible?

From what I know, to actually get the guarantee from the brand that you get you have to get it from a vet, I'd recommend Revolution just because it does so much more then most. Is it possible to get it before work?

No :( I work at 8AM to 6PM. Make's it quite hard, I will have a talk with the old lady to see if she can help me out since it is definitely about time to get heartworm preventive medication very soon. I've been making a lot of changes to ensure that my Husky stays healthy for the long run and his puppy chow will be step one. What does everyone think of supplements such as multivitamins for dogs?

So it is possible to get heartworm medication without an RX?

well don't know about anyone else but loki gets the solid gold (yea yea I know again) the solid gold brand SeaMeal supplement it has tons of diff stuff and it helps w/his sensitive tummy

yea there are ways of getting things like that, but like I said they won't guarantee their stuff if you call them and say hey it didn't work and you didn't get it from a vet....the reason they want you to see a vet is to make sure if the animal will have problems and what they think might be the best for your pet

(I'm not against raw, in my experience I tried it didn't work out with my pups tummy ....so whatever you do decide just make sure ur dog is healthy and happy. There will be people that agree only with raw, some only with kibble, some either way. (I do agree, do research and see what works best for you. Just because one thing worked for ten other people doesn't mean its the best thing for you)Its what works best for you and your fur baby that counts in the end smile.gif )

you will get lots of different advice regarding what food to feed as its a mine field lol I can only tell you what we have done for our pup and thats an all raw diet, we changed him over from pro plan puppy food straight away and his stools became solid within two days. The prey model is pretty simple and is what they would have been fed in Siberia and what wolves would eat in the wild, you cant get more specific than that. Read through as much information as you can regarding both kibble and raw diets and see which your comfortable with.

Dan