Do you think there is a lot of difference between boy and girl Huskies?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally I think girls can be more "bitches" (they don't call them that just for fun!) and I find boys a bit sookier. I have a preference for boy dogs myself (although I only have one and I have two females, go figure!) but I don't think the difference is that big.

But when it comes to training like I said in the other thread I think it is more about working within the dog's individual temperament rather than focusing on breed or sex. When I buy a pup I go and look at the litter and it is amazing the difference in character between all the dogs, some are more outgoing, some are sookier, one might be a bit more shy. Another reason why I think it is important to go to a good breeder who can help you match the right pup for your personality/requirements!

I have found our females have had don't seem to want to snuggle next to you , found the males easier to train too & more obedient, our mishka is a real bitch @ times & so stuck up , where as kavik loves everyone & just wants to play / have hugs. Lets hope sisko dosen't follow in mishkas pad steps lol .

I think their personalities can be different.

I think that males (mainly un-nutered males) can be more likely to become challenging to other males especially when females (In season) are close by compared with females when males are close by. I also think Males can be more dominant than females but I have seen cases where the female has been alpha.

When there is a female around, in season, I think males can be harder to train as thier brain would be distracted to the females scent, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I think there is a difference between my two due to their sex. The boy is more obediant, attentive and easier to train, except obviously when the girls in season. The girl is more stubborn and harder to train and I would say she is the more Alpha of the 2 but would also say I think she likes cuddles more. The boy is like a teenage human boy that says " eugh, mum my mates are watchin stop cuddling me", lol! Also, the girl seemed to be more hyper and the boy more chilled. Im thinking of trying a gentle leader collar with my boy soon, just to make it easier for me to have control on walks.. Has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Do you mean the one that straps over their noses? I personally don't like them. The name gentle leader is also very deceptive, they are a tool that is equally as aversive as a check chain or prong if not more so because the pressure is always on the dog's face even when it isn't pulling. They also have a very low success rate when you take them off. They can also cause spinal and neck injury to the dog.

I used one on my husky and he hated it, it was very uncomfortable for him and he pulled as soon as I took it off. Now we walk on a martingale, but I only have it on now for safety (he can slip flat collars) as I taught him to walk on a loose leash :D Correctional collars are just tools and need to be used in conjunction with a training program, not used as a bandaid or replacement for training.

It was a dog trainer that recommended it to me. Might have a look at a Martingale then. Hes been pretty good and chilled with anything Ive put on him so far, but I know what you mean. My Keira is the same and she will slip normal collars. I wanted to try one of those illusion collars that the dog whisperer uses but you cant get them over here.

It was a dog trainer that recommended it to me. Might have a look at a Martingale then. Hes been pretty good and chilled with anything Ive put on him so far, but I know what you mean. My Keira is the same and she will slip normal collars. I wanted to try one of those illusion collars that the dog whisperer uses but you cant get them over here.

Yeah it's tricky isn't it - I know dog trainers who recommend them too, but I know more trainers and behaviourists who recommend against their use for a variety of reasons.

Martingales are a great place to start, loose leash walking is all about teaching the dog that they don't get anywhere by pulling so it is more about your training technique than the tool you use. No tool should ever be used without a training program, some dogs even learn to pull on prong collars so it really is about the method rather than the tool.

I have 4 huskies ( must be mad ) and find the boys are better to train and always want to please . The girls well dont go there ...maya does as she is told when she feels like it but dont get me wrong she is a good girl and knows who is boss. Tip is going through a stage of just being bad and chewing her bed to pieces , you should see the state of her dog blanket looks like it has been through a shredder lol , i have to put it on the line , god knows what the neighbours think , but she is only a year old and they all go through a curtain stage as they grow up.

I have 4 huskies ( must be mad ) and find the boys are better to train and always want to please . The girls well dont go there ...

I agree with Jackie and admit to being quite as Mad with 4 of my own, 2 boys & 2 girls. Tala is my girlfriend, she is with me constantly, she grumbles and follows me everywhere, to the kitchen, to the laundry. I work from home at the computer and she is always in here at my feet or on the futon ...snoring, very loud snoring. She is very bitchy and the puppy is in love with her but he also knows she is boss and walks a big circle around her and will sleep just out of her reach. She is also the most affectionate, loves hugs. snuggles and tummy rubs.

LuLu is the new girl and she is the skittish abused one. Today we are on a mission. I applied revolution to all yesterday but the tube i used on her made a squirting noise, she bolted and only got half and now will not let me anywhere near her... I have my half tube handy and she will get the rest today. She also will start the woo wooing in the morning for breakfast. She is also a good mother and keeps track of where Quinn is at all times.

Mukki is the alpha male but not an aggressive one, he is a teacher. He actually taught a friend's puppy to use the stairs, he walked up and down them one at a time with the puppy and kept real close. He teaches Quinn everything and does most of the careful discipline, he allows a bit of rough play and then growls for him to stop. He also likes to take a dog biscuit and set it a foot away from his paws and warn every one away. Tala used to go mad and bark, howl, come to me to tattle -now, it's the puppy he tortures. He has also taught Quinn his very good counter surfing skills -grrrr. Yesterday, I turned my back for 1 second to find my tuna sandwich gone! and mayonnaise on both boys' lips!

As Quinn gets older the boys are hanging out more together, sleeping back to back and chasing birds and squirrels together -they even wag their tails when they see each other.

I see a definite difference in the male and female -they also seem to have very well defined roles.

Tala has always been the one to clean the peanut butter from the kongs -she will lick them for hours. She will also clean all the dog dishes, so there is not even a molecule of food left. You wouldn't think this would be a useful skill (aside from the obvious... LOL) But, this winter the first time their water bucket froze -about 3-6 inches of solid ice. I came outside to find Mukki, Quinn and LuLu standing in line behind Tala who was licking the ice. I got a pitcher and filled a bowl and they all ignored me! I assumed they were all more interested in the ice but NO! I stood and watched -took a good half hour for her to break through and sure enough, she made a perfectly round hole through five inches of ice and they all took turns drinking! She is the only one to do this and she does it every time the water freezes. So her role in the pack is Queen bitch, dishwasher and ice hole licker...

I can't imagine having less than four now or all the same sex -its' too entertaining this way.

Interesting post MyMukki! Is Mukki the oldest in your pack too? Do you think the pack order has anything to do with age? do you think it is largely to do with sex or is it the dog's personalities too? (i.e. some are more naturally outgoing/dominant and some are more naturally submissive).

Not sure of anyone's age except Quinn since I was there to see him splat onto the carpet LOL

I think he is older but LuLu might be...... never know with rescues. He was found in the Blue Ridge Moutains of NC covered in ticks, emaciated and was on fluids for a week! Last autumn, a new vet in our office was actually one of the vet students who originally helped treat him -she started crying when she saw him now!

Not sure of anyone's age except Quinn since I was there to see him splat onto the carpet LOL

I think he is older but LuLu might be...... never know with rescues. He was found in the Blue Ridge Moutains of NC covered in ticks, emaciated and was on fluids for a week! Last autumn, a new vet in our office was actually one of the vet students who originally helped treat him -she started crying when she saw him now!

Awwww! Which one did you get first?

I tend to think pack order can be fluid, there are some things that Cherry will back down on and let the two younger dogs take control with, but she is a definite alpha female and when she means business the other dogs know it.

Thank you mymukki, my maya is like your tala , she will have stages were she follows you all the time and is always with me ( even when i go to the loo ). she is my little baby. Our oldest boy diesel is so good always has been , he is quiet and very welbehaved. koda is a good lad until girls are in season then can be a handfull.

we got Tala and Mukki in August of 2007, we agreed to foster Lulu last September when the rescue groups asked if I'd help with a local mess. In October we had the 5 am splat and Quinn arrived... quite unannounced!

Small things are fluid but if things get off track Mukki will set everyone straight -not by fighting but by teasing with food -after they cry and beg for an hour or so (sometimes longer) he will gift them the food! On a few rare occasions he has slammed a bad dog down held them down until they submit. He usually gets a treat LOL -the last time he did this the puppy bit me!

I tend to think pack order can be fluid, there are some things that Cherry will back down on and let the two younger dogs take control with, but she is a definite alpha female and when she means business the other dogs know it.

I wonder that with my boys. When it comes to food, Marley seems to be alpha as neither Bandit or Gizmo can pinch his food and sometimes when they try to we can usually end up with a fight to break up as Marley can get really nasty toward them. But when we go for walks (all 3 at the same time) then Gizmo seems to be alpha and shows they way and wherever he goes, Marley and Banidt will follow. Ive recently managed to start taking Marley and Banidt out together and in that case Banidt seems to be alpha and will constantly carry his tail up high in the air and Marley carries his tail either level with his body but mostly he will have it right down by his legs.

Ha ha these stories are all so funny and cute. Mukki your Tala sounds just like my Keira and our "puppy" Orlandis just like yours, hes in love with her and she is the boss between them lol.

Yeah think I need to stop worrying about which collar and lead etc and just focus a little more on lead training with him. Keira walks nicely on the lead now. I actually have two normal collars on here and join them up to the lead , as she slips one on its own. Plus I figured its kind of a little similar to the concept of the illusion collar which Cesar Millan aka Dog whisperer uses. So I'll get there with him eventually.