TREADMILL

Hi does anyone use a treadmill for their dogs???? Was thinking of getting one to help stevo but really not sure the seem to be used by people with fighting dogs :blink: I walk hiom in morning and evening for about 2 hours in total but think it would be helpful for him maybe??? Any opinions please dont shout at me lol:)

a treadmill is a good way of exercising a dog if you cant get out and walk them.

they must be supervised at all times and you can use it to exercise yourself too

its a good idea as long as you can moniter him and not have him on it for too long or at too steep and incline.

vids if you get one!!!!

go for it but make sure - like kelly said - he is supervised start off with it switched off so he gets used to the feel of it under his paws and treat him when he gets on it without fuss then switch it on the slowest setting possible n lead him onto it - if he doesnt like it dont pressure him and just keep trying :) - slow n steady :)

I have a treadmill and used to use it for Mya.

while she used it she loved it even started to get on it without the need to be leashed to it. however.......

she started the habit of pooing on it whilst running even if she's already been out, trust me it's not a pretty sight! and a pain to clean up so I've stopped her using it atm.

I will get back to putting her on it but only when I am definante she's not about to pop!

Thanks just not sure which one to get the human ones are onli 1200mm long and any of the dog ones are at least 1600 for stevos height he apparantly need 1800 but that does leave a lot of room front and back!!!! been looking for weeks gonna try to get secondhand human one cheap just to see how his stride is and then treat him to the one he needs!!! will keep looking lol yes pics will follow lol

I have a treadmill and used to use it for Mya.

while she used it she loved it even started to get on it without the need to be leashed to it. however.......

she started the habit of pooing on it whilst running even if she's already been out, trust me it's not a pretty sight! and a pain to clean up so I've stopped her using it atm.

I will get back to putting her on it but only when I am definante she's not about to pop!

oooooooooooo which one do you use and what size????

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a Weslo Cadence 55 and my husky fits just fine on it. Don't remember what size band it has exactly. It wasn't as hard as I thought getting her to use it. All I did was set it up and let them sniff it and get used to it, then I used treats to get them to stand on it. Finnaly, I got the walking leash out (I have a different setup for running) and put Laika on the treadmill and gave her the "let's go" command before turning it on. She wasn't too crazy about it, and jumped off a few times, which I just let her do. I didn't want to turn it into something she wouldn't enjoy. I let her relax for a few minutes and then put her back on, and she got the hang of it eventually. She was walking along at about 1 mph, not looking too happy about it, but hopefully shell get used to it. My beagle thinks its the coolest thing in the world though. I got the treadmill because when I'm away on business, my wife doesn't walk or run either of the dogs, and so my husky has started to dig out under the fence. I buried some chicken wire and strung an above ground electric fence wire about an inch off the ground, so hopefully that will help. It will only work if we can keep her occupied though.

I have a long based treadmill and Micah would get on with me in the morning and was quite happy on a fast walk building up to a run - but was always distracted by Ozzy barking and howling at her to get off - I think he didn't like her on the treadmill in case I got ideas about putting him on :) I never timed it, but I don't think it was ever longer than five minutes or so, it was all just a novelty for her. They now just lay on the floor and bark at me when I use it :) I think the length of time will largely depend on what speed you set it on and whether you use the incline option or not.

I use a human treadmill with Honey, because she's on a weight loss mission.

I do normal walks and parks and other fun things with both the girls. But every night Honey gets an extra walk/power walk on the treadmill. She's loved it from the start and just walks straight onto it.

Although now i'm starting to think the honey bear isn't going to lose any more weight and is just a big female husk.:huh:

But i think treadmills are a great idea, good for draining extra energy if you have an unsettled husky. But i think you have to be really careful to not over do it and push the dog into exhaustion.

I always sit in front of the treadmill and watch her, it keeps her moving forward and helps her not get distracted and wander off to the side. I tied a bungee cord to the front frame part, so it's like a barrier to stop her stepping too far forward.