Advice please - Motivating Ellie on the Scooter.

OK, we've had Ellie and Honey on the scooter before we took Cody in, but yesterday we scootered all three for the first time and this issue is still the same!

We just can't seem to motivate Ellie to pull as well as the other two. Cody and Honey on their own will take off and run/pull for all they are worth but Ellie bless her will start well but then starts to act as if she cannot be bothered. I know she is slightly smaller but don't think it's a fitness thing because if she sees a squirrel (or any small furry thing) she's probably faster than the other two in pulling to get to it. It just seems she is being really willful and sticking two fingers up if we ask her to pull for more than 5 minutes. We've tried her at all positions on the lines but it's the same... in fact worse if the lead dog as the other two will catch her and leg her over with their neck lines. She's also fine on the line set up if they are just pulling me on a canicross belt.

Any ideas how we can motivate her? We want her to enjoy it as much as the other two already do!

No suggestions that one of us dress up in a furry squirrel costume and run in front please lol.

hi - it could just be her pace is different and she just isnt suitable to run with the others??

Perhaps contact a well known very experienced musher in your area (have a look at snopeak site cos there is someone from your area who organises race events) and they may be able to offer advice when they seem all 3 in harness.

I think without seeing them run in harness its difficult to say

If she isnt keen on running with the others then please dont carry on without getting further advice from someone who is really experienced & observed them running. it could be detrimental to her and put her off running in harness altogether!

Just my thought though

OK, we've had Ellie and Honey on the scooter before we took Cody in, but yesterday we scootered all three for the first time and this issue is still the same!

We just can't seem to motivate Ellie to pull as well as the other two. Cody and Honey on their own will take off and run/pull for all they are worth but Ellie bless her will start well but then starts to act as if she cannot be bothered. I know she is slightly smaller but don't think it's a fitness thing because if she sees a squirrel (or any small furry thing) she's probably faster than the other two in pulling to get to it. It just seems she is being really willful and sticking two fingers up if we ask her to pull for more than 5 minutes. We've tried her at all positions on the lines but it's the same... in fact worse if the lead dog as the other two will catch her and leg her over with their neck lines. She's also fine on the line set up if they are just pulling me on a canicross belt.

Any ideas how we can motivate her? We want her to enjoy it as much as the other two already do!

No suggestions that one of us dress up in a furry squirrel costume and run in front please lol.

Maybe she is just not really interested, when Buck was young (2) we went dry land sledding with a friend and his team. Buck did it but you could see he wasn't really interested. We only went a few times because of this. If she doesn't like it so what. Anyway it is recommended you a max of 2 dogs with a scooter.

Hey ! How old is ellie? One of my boys Togo is 17 months and dislikes running. The musher I work for tol me to have someone drive behind you on a bike with the dog which dosnt want to run on it's own ...... So she can see you and your other two pulling and possibly she will start to get into it. However some dogs simply do not and will not run husky or not! Lol I've been told ( don't know how true it is) that if they do not start taking to running before they're around two then you might aswell give it up as a bad idea good luck

my oldest sibe mishka is exactly the same, they all set off great with tight lines but after a while mishka will slow down as dosen't like to run the fast pace as the other 2 . she just spectates now & seems happier that way, occasionally on runs she wants to go with them but not that often so i take her out alone on the springer for a slow run, her pace or she just does the daily walks with them. Don't push her to run if she dosen't look like she can't keep up or isn't enjoying it or you may put her off completely.

whooops posted 3 x please delete 2 of the posts sorry.

I second what others are saying that some dogs just aren't "into" it even though they may be a Husky. Could be she likes to work but doesn't like speed (so she would be more suited to trapline type of sledding where the pace is slow but hard work), or it could be she just doesn't like pulling all together. One thing is for sure, you can not force any dog to want to pull. Trying to can become detrimental to your relationship. If she ends up only doing it because you are asking her to it would be very easy to sour her of wanting to do much else for you. I'd say have an experienced musher observe her in person and give their opinion. If they agree that she isn't into it then find a different activity to enjoy with her and stick with the other 2 for scootering. Keeping her running with the other 2 can be detrimental to them too since she would be holding them back and giving off an unpleasant mood.

Also make sure there isnt anything physically wrong with her. It could be something like a minor lameness or even her harness not fitting properly or feeling right. Some dogs just don't do well in certain styles of harnesses due to how they are put together. Dogs with wide chests to better with a harness that has 2 chest straps rather than one that tends to go off centre. Some dogs prefer the "free" feeling of a skijoring harness VS the x-back that goes all across the back.