RSPCA pulls out of Crufts

Any breeder who does that is not "top notch" but a scumbag who is no better than a BYB.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a great supporter of the Kennel Club and I think they need to get their act together by refusing to:

(a) register any dogs born to bitches under the age of two or over the age of 6;

(B) register any dogs whose parents have not achieved the required standard of health testing for the breed.

© register any dogs born to bitches who have had more than 3 litters in their lifetime.

(d) register more than two litters in any three year period to the same breeder.

(e) register any litter which has not been microchipped

(f) register any litter whose parents and the pups had not been DNA identified

That would be a good start and would begin to make people realise that if they wanted to get a pedigree puppy with a genuine history and health clearance, the only way to guarantee it would be to buy a KC registered pup. This might begin to make inroads into the puppy farmer's market.

On the question of pedigree breeds with health problems, I agree that just one breed with such problems is too many and needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency. As far as GSDs are concerned, as someone who grew up with healthy, four-square "Alsations" (as we used to call them), I am also appalled by the current state of the breed and the banana-backed monstrosities you see in both the showring and the working arena - in fact the Germanic working type are worse IMHO than the UK show type.

Mick

All your posts are excellant Mick. Unfortunately I have to spread rep around before I can give you any.

I though I would highlight this one as I comploetely agree with you on this one! If the Kennel Club did do this then I believe that the amount of dogs/puppies that end up in animals shelter would be dramatically decreased! It would give potential owners (Which search for breeders through KC) more assurity that they are getting a healthy puppy from health parents. Although I know it wouldnt put a stop to BYB's but I think it would decrease the amount of unwanted dogs ending up in shelters where owners have bought a puppy without doing their research!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about the UK kennel club - but if they are anything like the ANKC they could do a lot more to positively promote purebred dogs.

Seriously - here the ANKC does very little to get out there into the public eye and promote their breeders and purebred dogs. I think it is a real shame because most every day people I talk to know very little about how and where you find a good breeder and why purebreds make great pets.

people I talk to know very little about how and where you find a good breeder and why purebreds make great pets.

That is the biggest problem here in the UK as well. There are so many puppy farmers, backyard breeders and naive/greedy "pet" breeders producing poor quality Siberians here in the UK, that finding a good breeder is like finding a needle in a haystack. Add to that the fact that many of those who breed only for money can be very convincing to the naive puppy buyer and you have the situation in which we now find ourselves where 99.9% of sibes coming into welfare have been produced by these unethical breeders and having been sold to ill-prepared and naive new owners, almost inevitably end up in welfare.

Mick

Definitely Mick - it is a BIG issue here made worse by the fact that a lot of puppy farmers now have online 'stores' where you can go on and order a puppy, pay them and it is sent to your nearest airport.

We have an organisation here called the Master Dog Breeders and Associates that works with pet owners, breeders, rescue and other people in the dog community to promote purebred dogs. To join as a Master dog breeder you must agree to their stringent code of ethics (much more strict than the ANKC) and submit an application outlining why you breed and your breeding program to date. They then call you up and have a chat to you.

To be a Master pet owner you have to agree to their code of ethics for pet owners too. They run the Dog Owners Choice awards each year which are nation wide and a great way to promote those who make a positive contribution to the purebred dog world - awards for excellence in breeding, pet ownership, rescue, training and so much more. They work very hard to promote and 'market' purebred dogs and run a variety of courses from grooming to breeding to canine genetics and more.

The people behind them are fantastic and are SO passionate about purebred dogs.

http://www.mdba.net.au/about_us.php?osCsid=4e0846f0844a0b199374218317baa336/

The aims of the MDBA are to:

* To provide a system of distinction between an ethical reputable dog breeder, animal welfare operator and pet owner and their peers; to recognise and celebrate excellence in dog breeding and practices, animal welfare, ownership and animal related services; to be strongly committed to the promotion of responsible pet ownership with a focus on animal welfare issues;

* Work in co-operation with Government, animal welfare agencies, and other reputable organisations to provide effective and manageable policies for pet ownership and management in Australia;

* Provide a nationally accredited education system in all aspects of dog breeding, welfare, ownership and care;

and

* To provide a regulatory body to increase the standards of dog breeding, welfare, ownership and care.