doesn't like hips and back legs touched?

so when me and Embry are playing sometimes i'll grab him from behind, and touch his hips or back legs and he will snarl, bare his teeth and growl and nibble on my hands. never enough to do any damage to me, but to scare me off. Is he doing this because he just doesn't like being touched there, or could it be something more serious...hip problems?

i think if it was a hip problem that was causing him to not want to be touched then it would show up when he walks and runs.

maybe he isnt used to it?,

suki hated it when we touched her paws, and if we insisted she growled a little warning, but we have to really when they are out running everyday and can get anything stuck in their paws, gradually with gentle touching starting with a simple touch then praising her we can now do anything and she doesn't mind.

or maybe he sees it as you trying to dominate him, like they do with the dominance humping

never hurts to get a vet to have a check though

i think if it was a hip problem that was causing him to not want to be touched then it would show up when he walks and runs.

maybe he isnt used to it?,

suki hated it when we touched her paws, and if we insisted she growled a little warning, but we have to really when they are out running everyday and can get anything stuck in their paws, gradually with gentle touching starting with a simple touch then praising her we can now do anything and she doesn't mind.

or maybe he sees it as you trying to dominate him, like they do with the dominance humping

never hurts to get a vet to have a check though

definitely doesn't affect his walking or running, never thought of it as a dominance thing. i thought it might just be something like how cats hate their stomachs touched.

i believe he's due for his 1yr distemper in the next few months, will ask the vet about it

Glala has the same thing. She doesn't like to be touched by her legs or paws, she will start growling. But that's probably because of her history (as pup she was very sick and had to visit the vet a lot. It definitely has been a trauma for her). But when she's all soaked and I need to dry her with a towel, she starts growling at me. I ignore her, she doesn't do anything. I recently started rewording her after I'm done. It probably won't stop her from growling, but I hope it will stop her from running away as soon as I grab the towel :blink:

I'd say if he doesn't show signs of pain and/or the vet says his hips are fine I think you just need to desensitize him to it...when we first got loki our vet told us all diff areas to touch everyday...ears/mouth/teeth/paws/etc to desensitize him to it so when something happens and you do have to touch there it won't be a big deal

I was gunna say the same thing as David, because Nukka will hump Shadow so often he gets a little grumbley with me when I grab his back end but I just stroke him gentley all over and he usually realises its me and Im not gunna hurt him and rolls over for me to tickle his belly. I'd say keep desensatizing him, he'll get used to it. :) And check with the vet just to be sure when you take him for his check up!

sisko grumbles when we touch her hip, tail back legs area always has been a bit funny with having rear areas touched, she is getting much better now as i go over that area daily . Hates her tail brushed though but i just carry on brushing it & she just moans on & on til i say stop it.