Hi Everyone

Timmo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well picked Nikita up last night, and after an hour's drive(blinkin M27 traffic) home, for which she was extremly settled, she arrived. Took it all in her stride no problem at all.

Wondered round and mucked about with the kids, then settled down to play with her cuddly toy dog, while we chilled watching tv. Fed her before bed about 10:30 and she was happy, went to bed and she howled lol Proper howled! But luckly only for an hour then didn't hear a peep from her again.

Came down at 6 and she'd peed an pooed in the same place all night...shame it was her bed not the puppy pad lol

Lets hope it continues like this!

Cheers, you look like you got your hands full!

they ent actually that bad, tho skyla is the worst lol bings n blaze are easy sometimes we forget we have them they are sooo well behaved lol skyla is getting better lol - we actually want another lol

cant wait to see the pics

Cheers Guys and Girls,

Had bit of a mare last night, Nikita kept howling every couple of hours which she didn't do the night before(just an hour constant then stop lol) But I didn't want to go down to her.

So I came down in the morning to the world of puppy poo, not completely runny but creamy(not in colour) is the best texture I can discribe. And she'd walked it everywhere! All I can think is this is the couple of treats we gave her for doing her buisness on the puppy pad. She's pretty consistant she does it on the pad or her bed :( So I was thinkin reward her when she does it on the pad. But I get the feeling the treats, which are small bone shaped things about a finger tip big, have upset her stomach.

I cleaned up best I could with my antibac wipes lol, before running off to work leaving Carla to do it proper, she put Nikita in her crate and shut the door, she didn't like that, she went mental apperently, crying and howling to get out and digging. Shes fine in it with the door open and goes in there freely. So I was thinkin I'll put her in there for half an hour daily and shut the door so she gets used to it, does anyone have any comments on this....THANKS!!

We had the same problems, it does get better in the end. try feeding her in her crate with the door open. Also play with toys throwing them into the crate and praise her when she goes in it to get the toys. Is the crate covered? If not get a dark blanket and cover it except for the door. It creates the "den" feeling and makes them feel secure. Also try putting one of your old t-shirts or dressing gowns OVER the blanket on the crate. This means that the crate will smell of you. We have a bolt on bowl also in the crate which means he cant knock it over and get soaked. The pooping and weeing in the crate, I'm afraid she is too young to control it yet so you will just have to ride it out. We did but thankfully now it is getting rarer!.:D Hope this advice is as useful to you as it was to me. Good luck.

Thanks Louise, good advice, will do on the cover. She doesn't mind going in the crate, and will sleep and lay down in it a times, it's just when the door is shut!

Took her out for a carry tonight, I would say after the experiance that this is invaluable experiance for the dog. I only did it after reading about it on here, never thought mucof it! But by seeing her reaction to stuff, it has proved a valuable learning curve.

It was a bit hectic though all the people starring and even some running out of their house's to come stroke her...I was a bit mean though and refused all advances as it was her first time out and didn't want her scared to death.

I've booked her in for jab's tomorrow so uhhh ohhh, and thanks Louise the second lot sound a mare! :blink:

Well had a good night last night, Nikita only howled twice for a bout half an hour 1st time then 5mins the second as I banged on the floor with my foot, from my bed lol and she stopped. Fingers crossed!

Pee and poo was great as well, all the poo was on the puppy pad and a lot of wee, only a little in her crate. I've found that shutting her crate door(with her outside) after food or a big drink of water is helping as she always looks for the pad, and to be fair has never gone anywhere other than the pad or her crate. So onwards and upwards all is good!

Oh I'm taking her out in the garden, carring her, every morning its really nice actually.

Hi ya, you guys are all nuts( in a nice way) I am seeing 3 husky's in a lot of pic's lol

Hi I am still kind of new too. I was telling my husband that barely anyone on here has only 1 husky and I feel like an outcast!!! And that we will have to get another sooner or later :lol: LOL!!! Welcome to the forum. ;)

Well picked Nikita up last night, and after an hour's drive(blinkin M27 traffic) home, for which she was extremly settled, she arrived. Took it all in her stride no problem at all.

Wondered round and mucked about with the kids, then settled down to play with her cuddly toy dog, while we chilled watching tv. Fed her before bed about 10:30 and she was happy, went to bed and she howled lol Proper howled! But luckly only for an hour then didn't hear a peep from her again.

Came down at 6 and she'd peed an pooed in the same place all night...shame it was her bed not the puppy pad lol

Lets hope it continues like this!

:lol::lol::lol: Yep she is a husky!!!

Cheers Guys and Girls,

Had bit of a mare last night, Nikita kept howling every couple of hours which she didn't do the night before(just an hour constant then stop lol) But I didn't want to go down to her.

So I came down in the morning to the world of puppy poo, not completely runny but creamy(not in colour) is the best texture I can discribe. And she'd walked it everywhere! All I can think is this is the couple of treats we gave her for doing her buisness on the puppy pad. She's pretty consistant she does it on the pad or her bed :( So I was thinkin reward her when she does it on the pad. But I get the feeling the treats, which are small bone shaped things about a finger tip big, have upset her stomach.

I cleaned up best I could with my antibac wipes lol, before running off to work leaving Carla to do it proper, she put Nikita in her crate and shut the door, she didn't like that, she went mental apperently, crying and howling to get out and digging. Shes fine in it with the door open and goes in there freely. So I was thinkin I'll put her in there for half an hour daily and shut the door so she gets used to it, does anyone have any comments on this....THANKS!!

The way I did it was throw a few treats in there and let Zihna go in there by herself to get the treats. I got the small training treats the more expensive kind, all natural, didn't upset her tummy. Got them online and bought them in bulk and got a good deal. Gonna need them anyway. Then I would shut the door while she was still picking up treats. Then I would praise her like crazy and feed her more treats through the bars. Then I would sit somewhere where she could see me and she would act a fool at first but I just ignored it and when she got quiet I would look at her and praise her and get her another treat or two. She got the hint. Now she still cries sometimes a little...she is a drama queen....but she likes her crate. To this day I have never actually put her in her crate with my hands. I always made her go in with treats. I read somewhere to do it like this and it worked for me :) . Now we are working on the "Go to bed" command and then she gets her treat after she is in the crate and it works about 50% of the time....lol. :lol: She is always in her crate at nap time so I can get stuff done....any other time she is running around irritating Whisper! LOL.:lol:

Hi! I'm glad to hear everything is going relatively well so far! After reading this thread, I just have a quick question, more for my own education than anything. I take it that you're using puppy pads to help housebreak Nikita? And a pad is in her crate, which I assume will eventually be moved towards the door, and then not used at all? I'm interested in learning about different potty training methods because we'll be bringing another husky home shortly.

I was just under the impression that you don't want dogs to go to the bathroom in their crates at all, because ultimately a crate is a toilet training tool. Lyra was pretty easy to housebreak, but we literally got up every two hours the first couple of weeks to take her outside, and whenever she whined we waited for her to be quiet and then took her out... Have you considered taking Nikita out when she cries, since she doesn't have bladder control yet, or is that what you're using the pads for?

Please keep us updated on the housebreaking! I learn something new all the time. :)