Wolfdogs?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched an entire episode of Dog Whisperer about people with wolf hybrids...lots of problems....just a thought!

In the same line: Who was the problem? The owner who had no idea how to raise a wolfdog, or the dog?... Just a thought ;)

You can find more then plenty of the same video's of more or less the same issues with normal domesticated dog breeds. And in 99% of the cases because the owner didnt know how to handle the dog.

So who is at fault? The dog or the owner?

• 1 month later...

They are not a challange, Tasha is Siberian husky x wolf ( vet classes her as a Siberian wolf hybrid) she has her moments where she tries to play boss, mainly with my cats, small dog and sister. But they aren't what they're wrongly classed as. They have a higher hunting instinct but are still super friendly. A friend of mine has high % wolves and they are as friendly as a family dog.

I dont recommend them unless you do have the time to dedicate to them though. But I'd happily have another 1 possibly 6.

They are not a challange, Tasha is Siberian husky x wolf

how old is Tasha??

ETA: saw ur teething thread so she is about 4 or 5months old? at that age she isnt going to be a challenge - shes a puppy - when she gets older, and hits her teenage stage you probably wont be saying the same thing

personally i would rather have a dog that LOOKS slightly wolf-like - then actually own a part wolf dog - its not worth the risk imo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was such an interesting thread, thanks for all the information. I had no idea that people deliberately breed wolves with domestic dogs - I thought "wolf-dog" was a name for Siberians, just because they look wolf-like.

Personally, I think I'd much rather stick with my Sibes... I used to overhear neighborhood kids whisper "Look! A wolf!" when I walked past with Max, and it never bothered me in the slightest because he's so sweet and gentle. I think the constant challenge of a real wolf mix wouldn't be fun at all. But that's just me, and to each their own. For those people who have them and have success, it's good to hear that you've provided them with a good home :)

This was such an interesting thread, thanks for all the information. I had no idea that people deliberately breed wolves with domestic dogs - I thought "wolf-dog" was a name for Siberians, just because they look wolf-like.

Personally, I think I'd much rather stick with my Sibes... I used to overhear neighborhood kids whisper "Look! A wolf!" when I walked past with Max, and it never bothered me in the slightest because he's so sweet and gentle. I think the constant challenge of a real wolf mix wouldn't be fun at all. But that's just me, and to each their own. For those people who have them and have success, it's good to hear that you've provided them with a good home :)

Wolfdogs are not only bred deliberately, but also by "accident" and sometimes for a real purpose, such as training for movies etc.

And not only with wolfs (wolfdogs), also with coyotes (coydogs) and dingo's.

• 2 months later...

I’ve never owned one but I watched a video (see above link) on them once that talked about them. The video said the animal ends up being a bit confused since it has both a domestic dog side and a wild wolf side. Owners would need to do a lot of research and understand domestic dog behaviors as well as wolf behaviors and the structure of a pack.

I feel very very strongly that people should not be breeding them the way they are and I don't think the average person should be allowed to own one.

I agree with that. I think it would take a very special, dedicated and knowledgeable individual to own one and like you I don’t think the average person should own one. Sadly though many people will get them not knowing what they are getting themselves into. This usually results in the animal suffering and in most cases having to be put down :(

To make a confession, I've always wanted to get one. One of my professors in undergraduate had a 50/50 (or 75/25) wolf / shepherd hybrid, and it had these gorgeous, glowing eyes--studying you and everything in the vicinity, gripping and mesmerizing, actually....

But, of late, I have had a growing concern about all this, and this is what it is. There is something fundamentally different about the wolf on a historical and evolutionary basis, as I heard a historian describe lately. To wit: the wolves that still live in the wilds of the world are the true holdouts against the intense colonizing force of humanity: today's wolves are the ancestors of the ones that didn't come close to the fire to live with humans thousands of years ago. And my concern is that there was a reason for this (i.e., that the wolves have known better than us on this). Clearly, there was/is something in them that made them not want to be controlled by us. In short, then, I worry that we are going against the very nature of these wolves.

Of course, though, I agree totally about the importance of a good dog owner/trainer and a bad one. And many of the problems of various wolf-dog hybrids were the result of the person and not the animal. But, still, is this a wild animal that, in its nature, does not want to be tamed? I think so--and that is likely why so many (if not most) of them just end up in shelters, which is simply unacceptable... If I am to be totally honest, yes, I'd still love just to hang out with one again--it was almost other-worldly! But therein lies the rub... So much for my confessions, then....

I am only a petite person and Nikita is huge to me and even though I have huskies and love all huskies I am scared of a lot of breeds of dogs ( daft I know!) but Nikita does not scare me. She is a gentle giant and I think we can sence things with dogs the same as they sence things with us. I believe she knew I was a bit wary of her and she gave me a little nudge at the last camp as if to say HEY I am ok . Now I feel privalaged to have been able to stroke her. I cant deny I am a little wary of her but at the same time I am in ore of her. She is of course beautifull and who could not love her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x

You can take an animal out of the wild but you can not take the wild out of an animal ;)

But seriously, I know a guy in Germany who takes wolfdogs (Saarloos) because there are so many people thinking "Oh look! We can have our own tamed wolf in house now!" and totally forget what a part wolf in a dog means. They underestimate the care they need to give to these animals even before it starts to trust you. Usually they end up in a shelter where nobody can handle them :(

It's great for those who have a dog that is part wolf and know how to handle them, but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Although I think they are beautiful animals I would never own one. Where I may own a wolf look alike in the future I will not ever own a part wolf (not knowingly anyway). My huskies are enough for me. I do think it takes someone special to own one and keep it happy :)

I'm agree with you about owning a wolf look alike lol that's one thing that drew us to Bear. I know some “breeders†introduce wolf blood into their lines, I’m hoping this isn’t the case with Bear. He has blue eyes so I know he can’t be half and half but he could have some low concentration wolf blood but I highly doubt this. I wish I knew more about the breeder he came from. All we know is he came from Tennessee and that he is supposedly CKC registered.

Although I think they are beautiful animals I would never own one. Where I may own a wolf look alike in the future I will not ever own a part wolf (not knowingly anyway). My huskies are enough for me. I do think it takes someone special to own one and keep it happy :)

Yes, I think wolves are beautiful majestic and misunderstood creatures. But I would never own one, nor a wolf dog hybrid, because training a high content wolfdog is a LOT harder than training a stubborn husky...not to mention more dangerous.

Yes, I think wolves are beautiful majestic and misunderstood creatures. But I would never own one, nor a wolf dog hybrid, because training a high content wolfdog is a LOT harder than training a stubborn husky...not to mention more dangerous.

My sentiments exactly. To be honest I'm more interested in siberian huskys anyway. They are something special to me and have added so much to my life. I'm not sure I'd be the right person for a wolf dog :unsure:Of course I love wolfs and respect them and think they are beautiful, I'd love to see one in the flesh, but I just couldn't own one, my pack are more than enough to keep me busy for now :)

I have never owned a hybrid before but my mom and I went up to a Native American village in Northern Canada to do some mission work and all of the dogs in the village have some percentage of wolf in them. They all run loose, people fed them from time to time but they mostly got their food out of the trash or in the wild. It was the first time I had ever been around hybrids so I was fascinated by them. I tried to make friends with some of them and by the time we left I had my own little pack of 4 to 5 hybrids that would come either when called or when they saw me outside.

Ever since then I have wanted to own one. Maybe some day I will run a sanctuary for wolves and hybrids as so many of them end up in the wrong hands.

...It was the first time I had ever been around hybrids so I was fascinated by them. I tried to make friends with some of them and by the time we left I had my own little pack of 4 to 5 hybrids that would come either when called or when they saw me outside.

Ever since then I have wanted to own one. Maybe some day I will run a sanctuary for wolves and hybrids as so many of them end up in the wrong hands.

I think that would be great, Willow; I hope you follow that dream and make it happen.... As I mentioned above, I too found myself was utterly fascinated when I finally met one in the flesh. In fact, it may well be the central, defining animal encounter of my life thus far--not least because I could tell, in its eyes, that it was in fact a wild animal, and one possessed of an extraordinary intelligence/thoughtfulness.... Anyway, all the best with that dream--someone with your experience would perhaps be best to head that up (reminds me of Caesar Milan and his childhood with semi-wild dogs in Mexico). Anyway, good luck & all the best!

I think that would be great, Willow; I hope you follow that dream and make it happen.... As I mentioned above, I too found myself was utterly fascinated when I finally met one in the flesh. In fact, it may well be the central, defining animal encounter of my life thus far--not least because I could tell, in its eyes, that it was in fact a wild animal, and one possessed of an extraordinary intelligence/thoughtfulness.... Anyway, all the best with that dream--someone with your experience would perhaps be best to head that up (reminds me of Caesar Milan and his childhood with semi-wild dogs in Mexico). Anyway, good luck & all the best!

Oh thank you! I really hope I can make it happen too.

By the way I see you live in Michigan....so do I! lol