Raising two puppies together ?

Rosemary

In two separate threads posted today the question was raised about raising two puppies together. I always thought - or I should say I did not think - that it was ok, what can be wrong with that?

So I googled it and found that there is some very strong opposition to raising two puppies together for various reasons

I had a look at various sites and thought I would post these two - the first one is very adamant about NOT having two puppies at the same time :(

http://leerburg.com/2dogs.htm

http://dogcarejourne...ng-two-puppies/

Is there anyone who has raised two Husky puppies successfully? Would love to know what you think as my two huskies have been together since they were 5 months and 4 months old.

Holly you are a gem - thank you, i think that's why A (dog trainer) was saying that they should only keep the puppies together for small amounts of the day and the rest of the time be separated, til they are older...

and Rosemary, haven't read the links, but i will do, thank you so so much! Hadn't even thought of googling it!

I don't agree with the idea that if you raise littermates or (two puppies not related) together, they will necessarily become "doggy" and won't properly attach to humans. Most of my dogs live in kennels (protection for my cats - most of whom seem very edible to the dog population!), and while some have their own kennel, others share - which has solved some problems with boredom causing destructive behaviors. Rather than being more interested in the other dogs, they actually compete for my attention. Dogs are pack animals, and Siberians, in particular, need to be with someone. When the human(s) in the pack can't be around (how many of us are independently wealthy and don't have to work?), it's my opinion that it's better if they have another canine pack member for company.

That said, it is very difficult to raise two puppies together and do it right, unless there is a person for each puppy, who will take responsibility for the training, socialization, and exercise of that puppy. Another potential pitfall of two dogs raised so closely together is that one can develop a strong dependency on the other, which can cause problems (like separation anxiety) if they should have to be separated - or when one dies. In general, I feel it's better to get one, and wait on getting a second until the first has had time to bond with you, to be social with people and other dogs, and to learn proper behavior (be trained). Once you add another puppy or adult, try to give them individual time to maintain their bond with you, and to reinforce the socialization and training.

with my parents in law, they didn't really have a choice of getting 2 (well they did, but again, another story!) and so they were kind of thrown into this situation - but Sammy has said that she doesn't agree to keeping them separated for most of the day - so if i have something to back it up i can go to her and try and get her to listen properly.

Thank you Gigi for your input, I appreciate it, and feel much better.

I must say I found the first link strange (and rather disturbing) :(

A couple of months ago we noticed that Micah gets upset if Ozzy is away from her for any length of time. My husband now regularly takes either Micah or Ozzy out for a run or short hike and the other one will stay at home with me, this is then our one on one time, and it works great and we will continue with it.

Thank you Gigi for your input, I appreciate it, and feel much better.

I must say I found the first link strange (and rather disturbing) :(

A couple of months ago we noticed that Micah gets upset if Ozzy is away from her for any length of time. My husband now regularly takes either Micah or Ozzy out for a run or short hike and the other one will stay at home with me, this is then our one on one time, and it works great and we will continue with it.

Very welcome! rolleyes.gif

Gotta remember that while there is a lot of good info out on the web, most of it is opinion - and the dogs in that link weren't Siberians, who were bred to be in a pack and work with each other and their humans! Sounds to me like you're doing fine!

our 2 are brother and sister weve had them from 8 weeks old theyve bonded with all our family very well and had no problems well nothing major anyway

the only time theyve been apart for any length of time is when they were at the vets being done

everyone said when we got them "dont get 2 pups together" but I'm glad we did

as I think we would have had more problems with separation anxiety with just 1 as my sister in law has had

as we work shifts

Ive learnt not to believe everything you read on the web a lot of it is as some one said just someones opinion

With this breed, being as hard headed, stubborn and hard to train as they are- as well as the rebellious teenage stage they go through it's better to get them at gapped ages. Not that it can't be done with litter mates, but it will be very difficult unless you get the one in a million angel of a dog pairs.

Good advice from the person before me.

There are obviously a few of us here that have more than one husky or mix.

Personally, Id say wait until the first husky/or husky mix is at least 1 year old, fixed, and calmed down.

Chewy and angel are still pups but there is a good gap in age and Im finding it a bit busying still, but

even so Im glad that at least one of them is calmed down and relaxes some of the time, lmao.

To be honest, Im one tough and reasonably patient lady but even I couln't take 2 "wild things" bouncing

off the walls for most of every day, lol. I do enjoy having 2 though.

With this breed, being as hard headed, stubborn and hard to train as they are- as well as the rebellious teenage stage they go through it's better to get them at gapped ages. Not that it can't be done with litter mates, but it will be very difficult unless you get the one in a million angel of a dog pairs.

Although Zarly suffered from SA, i can honestly say since the problem has been fixed, the pups are the most behaved, honest and obedient dogs i have ever owned.

Their like two peas in a pod!

Although Zarly suffered from SA, i can honestly say since the problem has been fixed, the pups are the most behaved, honest and obedient dogs i have ever owned.

Their like two peas in a pod!

Not every dog will be like that, especially this breed. Yes, it IS possible, but for someone who it is their first husky, it's not advisable generally. (Or most northern breeds for that matter) If it was one Siberian and a Beagle/Mastiff etc. then I would say go for it. But I would not suggest two northern breeds at the same age unless you know exactly what you're in for, have a lot of time and are prepared for the worst- yes those days where you want to throw your dog out the window, hope they get hit by a car, or rehome them and don't lie EVERYONE has those days, especially with puppies. That's not something that should be sugar coated. (Same with human children too, lol.)

What happens when you have to dogs peeing on the carpet, teething at the same time, tearing up the carpet in your rental home, digging out your garden together, mouthing and biting, training both to walk on the lead without pulling or jumping on people, exercising them at the same time (Because, lets face it, just like human siblings sometimes they want nothing to do with each other and they aren't going to exercise each other.) One develops dominance issues and starts fighting with the other, they have guarding behaviours and food aggression (All puppies do), jump on the furniture, counter surf... etc. You see what I'm getting at. Plus what if your family doesn't enforce training? Then you have to start over.

Then after you think they're all trained, they hit their teenage stage at the same time and start to rebel and challenge your authority and regress all their training.

YES it can be done, but you have to be very patient, have lots of time, resources and be the most sane person in the world. Also yes, you CAN get a pair that are angels and never go through any of this and you'll look at this post funny saying "Yeah, right." It does happen, but that's a chance you'd have to take and I feel it's better to buckle up before you get in a wreck, even if you're not going to get in one.

That is why it is my personal suggestion, to get them separately so that you can train them one at a time; once one's behaviour is smoothed out, the other can be worked on without bad behaviour influences and interruption from the other. On top of that, it gives more individual bonding time between you, your family and each individual dog. (Not that you can't bond with two at once.)

--

A side note, not trying to be personal, as I don't know your past, what kind of dogs you've owned in your past and etc. so please don't take it offensive or personally- but your two are only 8 months right now, they still have yet to hit their teenage stage together, you may think differently then- or they may not hit it at all. But it's a very different stage to go through and they will test and push your limits to no end. But I'm sure you're already fully knowledged about that and everything. I just wouldn't base such conclusions off a pair that are so very young, even if they do get along and are easy to handle now. (Not to say they won't continue to be, but that stage of their lives is a doosey)

Not every dog will be like that, especially this breed. Yes, it IS possible, but for someone who it is their first husky, it's not advisable generally. (Or most northern breeds for that matter) If it was one Siberian and a Beagle/Mastiff etc. then I would say go for it.  But I would not suggest two northern breeds at the same age unless you know exactly what you're in for, have a lot of time and are prepared for the worst- yes those days where you want to throw your dog out the window, hope they get hit by a car, or rehome them and don't lie EVERYONE has those days, especially with puppies. That's not something that should be sugar coated. (Same with human children too, lol.)

What happens when you have to dogs peeing on the carpet, teething at the same time, tearing up the carpet in your rental home, digging out your garden together, mouthing and biting, training both to walk on the lead without pulling or jumping on people, exercising them at the same time (Because, lets face it, just like human siblings sometimes they want nothing to do with each other and they aren't going to exercise each other.) One develops dominance issues and starts fighting with the other, they have guarding behaviours and food aggression (All puppies do), jump on the furniture, counter surf... etc. You see what I'm getting at. Plus what if your family doesn't enforce training? Then you have to start over.

Then after you think they're all trained, they hit their teenage stage at the same time and start to rebel and challenge your authority and regress all their training.

YES it can be done, but you have to be very patient, have lots of time, resources and be the most sane person in the world. Also yes, you CAN get a pair that are angels and never go through any of this and you'll look at this post funny saying "Yeah, right." It does happen, but that's a chance you'd have to take and I feel it's better to buckle up before you get in a wreck, even if you're not going to get in one.

That is why it is my personal suggestion, to get them separately so that you can train them one at a time; once one's behaviour is smoothed out, the other can be worked on without bad behaviour influences and interruption from the other. On top of that, it gives more individual bonding time between you, your family and each individual dog. (Not that you can't bond with two at once.)

--

A side note, not trying to be personal, as I don't know your past, what kind of dogs you've owned in your past and etc. so please don't take it offensive or personally- but your two are only 8 months right now, they still have yet to hit their teenage stage together, you may think differently then- or they may not hit it at all. But it's a very different stage to go through and they will test and push your limits to no end. But I'm sure you're already fully knowledged about that and everything. I just wouldn't base such conclusions off a pair that are so very young, even if they do get along and are easy to handle now. (Not to say they won't continue to be, but that stage of their lives is a doosey)

Wow, i feel like i've been put in a box and told to shut up. So yes i did take that the wrong way.

lol. So why are you getting another husky puppy Kroush? Not trying to be mean, but just curious since you seem so against having two young huskies at the same time. You'd have one going through the awful puppy phase while Loki is in his teenage stage.

The post in its whole was not directed towards you, but for those generally considering getting two pups at the same age of northern breed.

Only the last part referenced you, personally and I did state that I do not know you, your experience or the dogs you owned in the past. I also said that what I said does not hold true to all dogs and you may not have that issue on your hands at all, then again, you may. But I'm sure you already know about such things. If not, it may be something you want to look into. If you haven't owned Siberians before (Which I don't know if you have or haven't) or two of the same age before (Again, I don't know if you have or haven't) it's just general knowledge put out there, that is all. It's not a personal attack and in no way did I intend to "tell you to shut up". Your experience should be voiced, as should the more negative ones. There is no one way, no right way. It's all just advice from all sides of the spectrum.

They may pick up two dogs who may be well behaved like your have been so far, they make pick up two complete terrors. In either case they need to be knowledged on both sides.

Myself, I got an extremely dominant puppy with hormonal imbalances who was a complete nightmare to train. I could not imagine having to separate and deal with the individual issues of two like he was. Now that he's 7 months old, he's calmed down and been trained out of his issues so I feel it's a good time to bring in a second. I'm fairly certain he will hit the rebellious stage, but I'll be rested in knowing that the other pup, will be in their trained stage and be much easier to handle while I deal with re-emerging dominance and control issues, than having to deal with two of them at the same time.

But that is my personal experience. Yours is different, all are welcome. The majority of the post again was not catered as a reply to you, but more in depth description as to what the new owner should prepare for, even if it doesn't happen, if they are looking into getting two northern breed puppies at the same time. Each situation depends individually on the dog, the person and the breeder they came from. Kennel raised puppies will be extremely difficult to train and deal with, while hand raised puppies in a socialization program will be much easier to deal with. There is no solid answer.

Sara. I'm not against having two puppies, I don't recommend getting two of the exact same age, at the same stage to a first time owner or someone who is not prepared for it.

I did not say "Do not do this", I just gave my reason behind why it's not generally recommended and did state that if, after all considerations, you feel you are able and willing to deal with the chaos, all bad and good parts, then go for it. Sometimes it's not so bad- but you should always prepare for the very worst- not the very best.

Thanks Kristina, on both posts +1. At the moment, Ozzy & Micah seem well balanced to me. We will see what their rebellious teenage years will have in store for us, but I am now reasonably confident we will be able to handle whatever they throw at us :lol: We will continue to be very consistent with them and not allow them to take the upper hand - they do try to push those boundaries, even now. Luckily for us, Micah is very intelligent and works constantly to please us, whereas Ozzy is totally laid back - hopefully these two traits will carry us through that stage :)

many well experienced breeders wouldnt 'sell' 2 puppies together. i understand there are many reasons for this. Bonding - they have each other so they dont need you. they have such a close bond that if somethign happens (one at vets for 3 days etc) then this is especially distressing for hte one being left etc. The good behaved pup will learn the bad manners from the other one...the naughty one doesnt learn the good!! :lol: (its never that way round!)