Tips to help keep your Sibe cool

Feel free to add more hint n tips

Although some people don't realise, Spring and hot Summer days can proove to be too much for our beloved Sibes to cope with. The Sibe is an Arctic breed of dog and they will not cope well with what we may call "Good Weather".

Listed are some hints 'n' tips to help you keep your Sibe cool during the hot weather:

1) Never Leave Your Sibe In A Parked Vehicle

Doing so can become fatal. Even with the windows open, this doesn't always have the positive impact you desire and will not keep your Sibe cool as many vehicles can become like an inferno when left parked in the heat!

2) Make Sure They Have Constant Access To Water

Always make sure ANY animal has easy access to cool, fresh and clean water at all times, whatever the weather. If you keep your dogs outside at any time, or if you keep water bowls outside, place the water bows in an area which is constantly covered by shade (i.e. Kennel). Also in very hot weather, if your dog is kept outside, you can also add ice cubes to thier water to help keep it cool.

3) Keep An Eye On The Water Intake

An increased water intake could be a sign of overheating and/or dehydration.

4) Carry A Bottle Of Water On Walks

If your dog doesn't drink water straight from the bottle, you can buy travel bowls (Example: http://www.canine-spirit.com/shop/detail.asp?prodid=37&prodsportid=10). During hot weather make regular water stops, especially on long walks.

5) Avoid Mid-day Walks

Try to walk your dog during early morning and late evening when the weather is cooler. Avoid doing heavy exercise, i.e. running, where possible. If you dowork your sibe/s and take them training try to keep this to the cooler hours of the day and to a minimum.

6) Don't Stop For Too Long

When you are out on walks and make water stops, do not let your dog stand/sit in the same spot for too long as thier feet can overheat and burn easily, especially during the hottest hours of the day.

7) Keep Them Cool When Your Out

If you crate your Sibe when you go out, it is an idea to provide them with either a crate cooling fan (http://www.ukdogcages.co.uk/dog-cage-cooling-fans/penn-plax---dog-cage-cooling-fan.html) which attaches onto the crate or you can place either an air conditioning unit or desk fan next to the crate to keep your darling cool in the house.

8) Keep Them Cool In The Garden

Although you may think they will soon cool down after running around the garden a few times, they are more likely to over heat running in hot weather than cool down. Ways to keep your sibe cool whilst in the garden is to provide them with a solid paddling pool to play in or you can use the hose pipe to wash them down and play water games with your sibe, which can be great bonding strategy and great fun!

Good general advice SW - stuff we do here even in winter as even then it doesn't get that cold.

I just want to add one thing, Sibes being a double coated breed actually climatise very easily to harsh conditions. Their coat works like insulation so they are cool in summer and warm in winter. Obviously as it heats up you want to take precautions to ensure they remain hydrated, but they actually do better in warmer weather than many other breeds.

My beagle is short haired and is worse off in hot weather than my Sibe because she does not have the double coat that works to control the dog's body temperature very effectively.

So as long as they have access to shade and water (which is important for any breed of dog when it is hot), Sibes can actually cope very well in warmer weather, despite being an artic breed :)

Thanks Sarah, the idea that sibes can't cope well in hot weather is a common misconception and obviously living in Australia something that us husky owners are asked about a lot!

Lol yeah I bet you do ! lol

Wish I was a sibe at times, not too keen when it gets really hot, might have to get a pool for myself!! lol

Good general advice SW - stuff we do here even in winter as even then it doesn't get that cold.

I just want to add one thing, Sibes being a double coated breed actually climatise very easily to harsh conditions. Their coat works like insulation so they are cool in summer and warm in winter. Obviously as it heats up you want to take precautions to ensure they remain hydrated, but they actually do better in warmer weather than many other breeds.

My beagle is short haired and is worse off in hot weather than my Sibe because she does not have the double coat that works to control the dog's body temperature very effectively.

So as long as they have access to shade and water (which is important for any breed of dog when it is hot), Sibes can actually cope very well in warmer weather, despite being an artic breed :)

Great advise Smeagle!!! Would add to rep but have to spread it around 1st so will a smiley do?

I never actually took the double coat into consideration, I knew they had a double coat but never even thought of thermal regulation apart from when its cold. Should have thought of that they have to have some way of cooling down naturally when they are pulling the rigs/sleds!

Thanks for adding it! Here is your smiley

[ATTACH]877.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-44-13585942076577_thumb.jpg

smeagle, you need to get more members on here from OZ lol

Will see what I can do ;) LOL

thnx for all the advice i didnt no their double coat also helped 2 keep them cool what with blaze bein our first husky but u wud think all the research i did on them that i wud ov read that sumwhere thanks again :)

No worries lovey!

It is probably info more commonly seen on Aussie breeders sites, but yes a Sibe's coat definitely helps them climatise to a variety of weather conditions.