Greetings from Brunswick, Maine

Hi everyone!

My name is Kayla, and I am a new owner to a beautiful red Siberian Husky named Echo.

My boyfriend, Brandon, and I decided we wanted a puppy, after approaching the end of our first year living together.

We researched breeds, and could not agree on one, until we looked at the Siberian Huskies. We realized this

was the perfect breed for us, and started looking for breeders, and through the shelters to find the right one.

Finally, we found our beautiful little angel, Echo, from a breeder in Northern Maine. The breeder is VERY knowledgeable,

and gave us LOTS of information about our pup right off. I also bought a book about the breed to further my research.

Yesterday, we finally welcomed her into our home. She is an absolute little angel, and we are having so much fun

watching her acclimate to her surroundings. We are spending a lot of time bonding with her, and it is an amazing

experience for us. This is my second dog. My first dog was an Eskimo Spitz/Australian Shepherd mix.

I am currently in college studying photography and English. I plan on becoming an English teacher when I am

finished with school. I want to teach high schoolers.

I joined this site to meet other people who have room in their hearts for this beautiful breed, for support when I have

questions, and to show off pictures of my beautiful angel :)

Take care!

Kayla

Hi Kayla!

Welcome to the husky family! I can see from you avatar pic that Echo is a little cutie but its good you like to share pictures coz we luuuurv to see pics of cute husky puppies!

Interesting that your in Maine, my hubby is originally from Dover-foxcroft, near Bangor? So we do occasionally (when we have the money) come out that way to see his fmaily who are all still there! Maybe if we have the cash again and can get pet passports for our babies we might even be able to meet you one day! Would be great!

Anyways have a good look around the forum, theres a ton of information about every aspect of husky ownership and if you get stuck on anything just shout up, everyone here is very friendly and theres always someone around to help out! :)

Take care and hugs xxx

Haha!

Thank you all for the VERY warm welcome!

We are SO excited to have her as a member of our family, she is perfect.

Thank you all for being so willing to help. We are lucky to have a great local vet, whom I trust,

but have a supportive community is awesome! I am sure I will have lots of questions as time

goes by. Her first vet check up is on September 3rd. She will be getting her second inoculations

then!

I will post lots of pictures later today. She and her daddy are taking a nap right now. SO cute!

We are crate training her, and she took to her crate immediately. I can't believe how intelligent

she is already! She has almost learned her name too!

@Sarah - We were actually just up that way! We got Echo from a breeder in Lincoln, past Bangor.

That would be really neat! If you are ever back in this neck of the woods, let us know! Brunswick is

about 2 hours away from Bangor.

Hi Kayla, welcome to the Forum. Your little Echo is gorgeous. You can show off all you want, we love husky photos. Feel free to post if you have any questions at all, or if you just want to brag, go ahead, we're only too happy to listen :)

Hi Kayla, welcome to the Pack. Echo is a cute one. I think you'll find this forum to be very active, extremely friendly, and so full of knowledgeable and helpful members. So, take a look around, post any questions you may have, and above all, enjoy that new puppy.

Haha, thank you so much!

Does anyone else have cats with their husky?

We are hoping we can train her to coexist peacefully with our kitties. Our cats have always had a dog in the house.

I have been told that Siberian Huskies would rather eat a small animal than coexist. Should I be worried, or do

you think that getting her as a puppy and raising her with the kitties will influence her behavior toward them?

Right now, she just wants to play with them, but the cats are jealous so we are keeping them separated for a

slow introduction. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated :)

Haha, thank you so much!

Does anyone else have cats with their husky?

We are hoping we can train her to coexist peacefully with our kitties. Our cats have always had a dog in the house.

I have been told that Siberian Huskies would rather eat a small animal than coexist. Should I be worried, or do

you think that getting her as a puppy and raising her with the kitties will influence her behavior toward them?

Right now, she just wants to play with them, but the cats are jealous so we are keeping them separated for a

slow introduction. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated :)

Hello!!!! Welcome to the pack :D :D

Ok come on - PICS PLEASE you can't come on here say you've got a pup and not post pics - that's just teasing us :D :D

I have a cat with my boys - they were introduced to her from day one - they're mindful of her though and seem to know she's boss, however i always crate my boys for the cats safety as well as their own lol

Puppy album up on my profile :) Most of the pics are on Brandon's computer, so I will add more later!

On the cats;

I am glad to hear that. I have been told by a few people that I should not have my husky and cats..

to the point where they said I was being irresponsible by having small animals with a husky!

I am sure the cats will all get used to her in a few weeks. They are just jealous and upset right now.

I am just giving them all one on one attention!

Hi, Kayla, a big, husky welcome to you, Brandon & Echo - what a little stunner!! :wave:

As has been said, owners who have both cats & huskies say to get the husky as a pup so it grows up with the cats being around the house, but never leave them alone together, not even for a minute, as you just never know! :D

Love the pics of Echo, remember to keep snapping away as they grow up WAY too quickly!! :lol:

Oh man, we have that camera ready all the time!

We just got home from taking her to my dads so she could see her grampy and great grammy!

She had a wonderful time, and we wore her right out! It is dinner time, so she is eating now, and

then in a couple of hours it will be bed time for Echo!

Echo has her own bedroom, and we are crate training her. She will be in her crate when we are not home, or watching her.

Dinner time!

We found out she likes cheese. Brandon bought her special treats, and she won't eat them. We got her special hot dogs to

use for treats too, since she didn't like the ones we got her! :P

How many times a day should we feed Echo as a brand new pup? We fed her twice today, and she is starving :P

Should we try three times or more smaller meals?

How many times a day should we feed Echo as a brand new pup?

Three meals a day is usually a safe bet until she reaches around 6 months, when it can be dropped to two meals. How much you feed per meal depends on a few things - what type of food, quality of food, what Echo's body looks like. Every few days we weigh Lyra to see how she's doing and run our fingers over her ribs/back and make adjustments as needed. Even though she's getting plenty of food, she still acts like she's starving at meal times. She's like a vacuum!

Three to four meals is usually good for young pups - depends on your schedule, so you can get her out as needed!

I have cats and huskies - I've had several huskies that, as little puppies even, you could tell took one look at the cat and said "dinner!" I have several that I truly don't trust around my cats, but my old man, Shad, is amazingly good with them. There have been 2 occasions recently where he's taken it upon himself (cranky old man that he is) like he would a puppy - scared me to death! I looked at the cats afterward, and there wasn't a mark on them - just some spit! I live on an acreage, and have a number of cats that are outdoors, and any time he goes out - the cats come running to see him!

[ATTACH]5873.IPB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5874.IPB[/ATTACH]

As you can see - neither cat is at all afraid of Shad or of the puppies!

post-1869-13585955376457_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585955377663_thumb.jpg

Hi there.. And welcome to the pack. :)

Your Echo is beautiful.. I love her mask.. :)

About the cats. DONT let Echo and the cats be alone together no matter how much you trust Echo. :) I have 3 cats myself and 1 adult husky (now 2 years old).

Jamie (the husky) LOVES the cats, specially the male cat, the 2 female cats are not loving Jamie back.. :P Anyway, i got Jamie when she was 8 months old, and since your echo is just a baby yet i don't think you will have any trouble.

But if Echo starts chasing the cats you should of course let her know that it is not okay to chase them around.. :)

Best of luck with her.. She is gorgeous. :)

welcome to the pack :)

until about 7 months i fed Embry three times a day, 1 cup he usually didn't finish all of it every time. now he's getting 1 cup, twice a day.

we also have a cat, got embry at 8 weeks and introduced him and the cat right away and they've been best friends ever since. our cat isn't declawed because they do love to play rough and the cat needs to stand up for himself somehow :lol: embry does tend to chase him often but they play like dogs and i've never had a problem with them together ever.

dscn2300.jpg

66746434.jpg

Awww! Love the puppy/kitty cuddle pictures!

She has her own bedroom, which she will spend the majority of her time in.

We got the baby gate last night :D

The kitties will not go in her bedroom, because they don't like her.

My cat Socks, had a hard time with Jake, Brandon's mom's old dog, so now

he has a hard time with all dogs, I guess. He growls these little demon growls

at Echo and hisses. I pet him and tell him that she is okay, and not to growl,

but it will take time.

Echo does have a beautiful mask, if I may say so myself :P I love it!

Brandon picked her out, but I wholeheartedly agree. She had the prettiest mask

out of all of the girls in her litter. :D

We will start feeding her lunch, that should probably help with the hungry horrors :P

Scheduling her vet appt today! :D I am hoping she can she Dr. Collins, she is the

vet I take my cats to see. She is wonderful!