My husky bit me

So sorry to here this, really hope you get better soon, grey dont like bein put outside either he always has a moan, as for the pinnin down to submis him not everyone agrees with it, but I do it to grey when he gets a bit over the top especially with other dogs, its not something you should do if you are not confident, but I for one think it works, everyones different you need to do whats best for you not everyone else.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some good advice given here & I'm so glad to hear you're not giving up on him - he seems to be responding to your positive approach, praising him when he does good - that's the thing with huskies, as hard as it may seem at the time, ignore the bad & praise the good. Keep repeating what you're doing, he will learn quickly to trust & accept what you do with him is not meant to hurt. Keep an eye on the wound on his neck, though, make sure it heals full & as Sqwidge said, try just putting a finger under his collar to start & praise him when he doesn't react to it.

good luck, let us know how you get on, xx

Saaba wouldnt go outside this morning - it was raining again - and he pushed himself up against the kitchen work units where it corners and sat facing away from me. When I approached him he kept looking up at me to see what I was doing, so I told him to go out and he woudlnt..

I decided not to push it and bent down to stroke him instead. He didnt want to go at all! So I told him he was a good boy and gave him a fuss. He rarely makes eye contact with me when I sit near him and he has his head down. But he looks up at me quickly every so often - but I cant tell what his look is...fear or something else.

My hand feels OKish today. Im not really concerned about that as that will go away, but its more that I must be doing something wrong. :blink:

Saaba wouldnt go outside this morning - it was raining again - and he pushed himself up against the kitchen work units where it corners and sat facing away from me. When I approached him he kept looking up at me to see what I was doing, so I told him to go out and he woudlnt..

I decided not to push it and bent down to stroke him instead. He didnt want to go at all! So I told him he was a good boy and gave him a fuss. He rarely makes eye contact with me when I sit near him and he has his head down. But he looks up at me quickly every so often - but I cant tell what his look is...fear or something else.

My hand feels OKish today. Im not really concerned about that as that will go away, but its more that I must be doing something wrong. :blink:

Kerry Im so glad all our advise has helped you and your following on getting a behaviourist, I think that will really help you gain insight into why he is the way he is. Not making eye contact is fine its a sign of respect and a submissive thing to do to avoid eye contact with people higher in the pack than he is, I wouldnt think it was fear. The not wanting to go out Im assuming is coz he is still having seperation problems and he associates him going outside with being seperated from you. Perhaps you could try going outside with him (when its not raining of course) and playing with him out there abit and treating him, maybe giving him a belly rub or just sitting with him. Try to build posative experiences together out side so he is more willing to go out when told? :) Then you can start gradual leaving training so you ask him to go out, get ready as if you leaving then dont, go sit out with him or let him back in. This will disasociate him going outside with you leaving as well and help him be more willing to go out.

Good luck hon and keep up informed!

I would suggest you start taking him outside on the lead. For the most part, My Loki is always out on the lead because we have a 4 ft fence and I won't leave him unsupervised.

If he isn't familiar with the lead, offer him a treat like peanut butter when you click the clasp on the lead. Then move in towards putting it on his collar, letting him drag it around, then walking with it. This way, if he does want to protest, you have a length of lead in between you so he can't bite and you aren't annoyed and grab the collar. If he gets in the habit of running away when you get the leash (As Loki does. Sometimes just in over excitement.) you can just let him drag the leash around all day and grab it when you need it. Once he's outside, if you just want to leave him out there, just let him drag the leash behind him.

Have you done any "alpha" training? i.e.pretending to eat their food before they do, walking over them/pushing them out of the way when you want to walk somewhere, staring them down, entering doors first, not feeding them table scraps, Dealing with Guarding behaviour, training with "Nothing in life is free" etc.? However take caution if your dog already displays a lot of dominance. This kind of training is best done as a puppy, otherwise it may be a bit dangerous. If you watch "It's me of the dog" Victoria gives a lot of pointers on positive reinforcement training with dogs that do have dominancy issues and these may work better with and older dog. Getting him neutered, especially since he is past the age of 2, should be a top priority if he's displaying behaviours such as these.

You can find information on Victoria here: http://positively.com/victoria-stilwell/about-victoria/