What age did your husky calm down?

rachjuntu

mines 18mths rehome who arrived about 2mths ago with no training what so ever & was hurrendous!

Now....95% of the time he's calm. He had an hours walk last night with another husky (makes all the difference cos its 100% competition to get to be the leader in front!). He went straight back to bed after a wee this am and only really now just surfaced!! 3pm the following day! He wasnt interested in a walk early this morning so im about to take him now.

Believe me he has his moments but as long as he has his walks and regular structured plays in the garden (pre-empt before he goes mad) then all is well and happy!!

Have you tried running him when cool enough (ie under 12 degrees). that makes loads of difference. when hot i take him swimming in a lake on a very long lead and that wears him out lovely (& cools him down).

In answer to your question, i guess it depends on the individual dog.

As I write this he's snuggled back on the sofa with a deep sigh....gonna get him up for a walk whether he likes it or not!!

they calm down!? :o:blink: lmao - jokes :P ive heard they dont actually fully mature until they are 4 yrs old tho - but i think it depends on how much exercise they have like david says if they havent had enuf exercise they get hyper but if they are exercised well then they should b calm as they will b tired

i think the people on here who have OLDER huskies will b able 2 give you a better idea tho

I'm not sure they ever do. We recently looked after a friend's 16 year old for six months and he was still very lively (especially when some of our girls came into season - we had to get the vet to give him a shot of Tardak to calm him down - he was like a horny teenager!).

Mick

i dont think shiloh will ever calm down lmao...he is 8months old and still behaves like he has always done since the day we got him- he is a crazy dog that thinks he is actually an antelope!!

no matter how many times a day we take him out he is still the same...will sleep for an hr or so but then bounces around like a looney :lol:

Mishka has just turned a year and I don't see her slowing down anytime soon, she could go all day everyday if i let her... The other 2 are more reserved now as Cheyenne is about to be 2 and Mickey will be 3 soon. But, without taking them out to the park, to work, or for a swim daily... they all turn back into crazy puppies!

So I guess they haven't really calmed down, I just know how to control it! laugh.gif

people have commented on how quiet and laid back Lunar is , she is nothing like a husky lol , seven months old now and such a lazy girl , Enya seems to be following in her footsteps - guess im just really lucky - the worlds first lazy and calm husky pups lol

One of my girlfriends husky is the same. Very lazy/couch potatoe type. We constantly have to unhook him from his harness as he starts to lag and hold the others back. Not so lucky on our part. I call him defective...lol.

Silver really calmed down at about 2.5 years. Doesn't care much about playing with other dogs anymore and definitely doesn't get all worked up like he did at a younger age. I think much of it has to do with training combined with age and personality. I really worked with him about staying calm around other dogs along with ignoring/correcting any heyperactive/anxious behaviour. He still has a ton of energy and a willingness to work, but he doesn't get all worked up anymore. He often got so worked up when he was young that I believed he would just explode...lol

Here's a pic of lazy bones leading the way. Out of harness ofcourse...dry.gif .

gallery_1294_326_50437.jpg

Dakota (age 2 and some months) is very high energy, and Nikita stayed high-energy up until about 13 years old. However, the only time they were ever nutty was when they weren't getting enough daily exercise.

That being said (meaning, my dogs get sufficient daily excercise), I noticed that Dakota seemed to act more mature, in general, right about the time he turned 2. He's consistent with commands, etc., but maybe part of that has to do with me knowing what to expect. I'm sure he's more than capable of eating another couch or something if I left him alone long enough.

I wouldn't say they ever calm down in the same way as labradors and other breeds do. However, I noticed Pongo calmed down noticeably right after we got him neutered. He wasn't as crazy bounce off the walls puppy, but more of a focused dog and he listened better. As long as you exercise them a lot you should have a nice, happy, tired sibe :wub: then the cuddles begin!

Ours is really calm, he has his odd mad moment and goes nuts if theres another dog to play with but he's nothing like i expected him to be, i've had other breeds that were far more hyper than Ice is. Maybe i'm one of the lucky few with a chilled out husky.