Separation Anxiety

I am about ready to put this dog up for adoption or take him to the nearest shelter! He's 8 months old and is really attached to me. 4 o'clock this morning I came out to find he had knocked the gate down that barricades him from the bedrooms down the hall and pooped right there in the middle of the hallway. He'd also gotten into the bathroom (also down that hall with the gate up) and taken toilet paper rolls out of the garbage, brought them into the living room and tore them up. AND he'd gotten a hold of one of my kids toys that was hidden away in the living room. I fear that this dog is not a good match for our family. He'd caused so much destruction to our home. My yard is a mess of holes and chewed wood from the deck. I have young children and he nips their ankles and noses in between my children and I whenever they need my attention. The other day, I went out and left him with my father. My dad was in another room and as a result, Bailey grabbed my husband's baseball cap and chewed that up and when my dad put him outside, he ate through the lattice surrounding the deck, got past the gate that seperates him from my husband's garden and tore that up too! I just don't know what to do with him! I do love him, but unless he calms down considerably, we are probably going to have to find him a new home...

Thoughts? Suggestions?? Thanks!

Is he neutered? I'd also say he is 8 months old. Most puppies do the same things. These dogs do require exercise, and patience at the potty. They also are considered a "pack" animal. Did you research the breed at all? They do not always do well alone. I'm sad that you are considering getting rid of him :(

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he neutered? I'd also say he is 8 months old. Most puppies do the same things. These dogs do require exercise, and patience at the potty. They also are considered a "pack" animal. Did you research the breed at all? They do not always do well alone. I'm sad that you are considering getting rid of him :(

Tracy, I don't really want to get rid of him, but it's just so frustrating that he does these things. Sadly we did not research the breed before we got him, it was a spur of the moment thing but of course now I'm learning all this stuff about him. If I'd known before we got him... well hind-sight is 20/20. Anyway, he's not neutered yet, but is it ok to do it at this age? I was reading on this site about waiting till he's a year or it will screw him up mentally. We're screwed up enough as it is, we don't need any more... :) Do you think he'll settle down after he's neutered? Oh God I hope so!

Tracy, I don't really want to get rid of him, but it's just so frustrating that he does these things. Sadly we did not research the breed before we got him, it was a spur of the moment thing but of course now I'm learning all this stuff about him. If I'd known before we got him... well hind-sight is 20/20. Anyway, he's not neutered yet, but is it ok to do it at this age? I was reading on this site about waiting till he's a year or it will screw him up mentally. We're screwed up enough as it is, we don't need any more... :) Do you think he'll settle down after he's neutered? Oh God I hope so!

Awww. I'm sorry! I know you must be frustrated. I have never heard about waiting a year. I would definitely talk to his vet, and share your concerns about neutering. I do know people who have had the behaviors subside with neutering, and people who have not. Kind of a 50/50 type deal. I just hope that something works for you...because I believe huskies are the BEST breed for families once they have gotten over their "issues" and grown up. Good Luck!:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the great tips! I have been having some problems with my pup, Kemba. I know part of the reason she is so attached to me is because I work from home. I do put her in her crate for a few hours each day and she usually goes right to sleep after finishing the treats in her kong. The problem is when we leave her alone in the evenings/night. On Friday, we went out around 10:30 pm and came back around 3 am. We walked her right before we left and gave her a frozen kong. My neighbor told me that she cried the entire time we were gone. The same thing happened on Saturday. We took her to the dog park before leaving, hoping that it would tire her out, so she would be calm in the crate. We left at 6 pm and were home by 10, but she just barked, howled and threw herself against the crate the entire time. Any advice on how we can get her to stay calm in the crate? Also, why would she only be doing this at night and not when I have her in the crate during the day?

We started with the crate downstairs originally, but she wouldn't stop barking. Since its been in our room she hasn't barked at night at all. It's only when we go out in the evenings. I know if I move the crate right outside the door or down the hall she will bark like crazy all night. The problem is that I live in an apartment with neighbors on both sides, so I can't let her back at night. They don't mind the barking on the weekends, but they won't be very happy if she is barking during the week.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

my girl only whines and cries if i go upstairs to the bathroom, weird. When i crate her to leave to go to work, she walks in on her own and lies down to nap OR goes at her kong. we have the stairs blocked for now because there is carpet upstairs and she had stained it in numerous places in the first few days of being with us, so until I'm 100% confident that she won't have accidents up there, I'm done letting her up there. Regardless of if I leave her out of her crate to go shower or put her in, she howls and cries so much it's unreal, but then too, at night when I crate her to go to sleep, she only cries if she needs to go outside to the bathroom. I'm doubting if its seperation anxiety but does anyone have any thoughts as to how to eliminate this?

I know these are old questions, but for the benefit of the thread I thought I'd answer them! siberian_wolf feel free to add them to the main post if you feel it is sound enough advice!

If I leave finn outside of a shop he does similar......any suggestions?

We have a shop two blocks away that I usually walk to, and I always bring one dog with me. To teach my dogs to wait patiently and not to worry while I'm gone, I do the following:

1. When tying the dog up, make him sit.

2. Before you leave, issue a 'stay' command (it helps to work on this at home, too!).

3. The first few times you do this, make it a quick trip and try to stay within earshot of your dog (best if you don't actually have to buy anything). The moment the crying stops for even 10 seconds, go out so he can see you. He'll get excited, of course, but do not approach. I have a hand gesture that I use to command sit, so rather than saying the word I will make the gesture and hold it there until the dog sits.

4. Once sitting quietly, you can approach. If the dog gets up or barks, reestablish sit and don't step forward again until he's quiet. If he barks, you can issue a "no!" just once, then don't even look at your dog until he's silent.

5. Once you've made contact, don't be tempted to excitedly greet your dog. You were just in the store 2 minutes! This is no big deal. Unhook them, maintaining the sit. Once you're ready to move out, then you can quietly praise.

Repeat this every time you go. You'll find your dog will wait patiently for longer and longer periods, and you reappearing is not cause for out of control excitement, but happy and calm obedience.

I diddn't know you could bond with your dog too much o.o That's something to watch out for.

By bonding too much I think it means creating co-dependence. When we make a scene over our dogs when we greet them and when we leave, we set them up to be anxious and worried while we're gone. When we require constant contact and company with them every moment that we're home, they develop an attachment and the 'need' to be with us all the time, and lamenting our parting just makes it worse. When only one person does the feeding, playing and disciplining, this becomes the only person who matters (only kinda-sorta applies to single people with dogs, because there are no other humans consistently in the house to dismiss). In those cases when they are extreme, the dog won't even be consoled by the company of other people or dogs. People mistake this for the dog loving them and only them, but it isn't the case. What they have done is created a needy child who only wants one person, and that isn't healthy.

I've been really lucky, mine are fine when I leave them, they know when I'm about to leave and think they may be coming. I tell them 'kitchen' and they all trot off down to the kitchen good as gold. As I leave the room I tell them 'Ok guys, back in a minute' in the past friends who've been leaving the house with me have thought I wasn't quite the full shillin.

I say I'm lucky because my dogs are never really left alone at all, perhaps on the odd occasion they may be left for 4 hrs at most. But generally there's always someone in the house with them.

• 1 month later...

loved reading this thread, seems to be a massive problem, Zeus suffered with this from a very early age, ive had him since he was 5 weeks old and became really cloe from that day, i dont ever leave him for more thn a few hours even now hes 'nearly cured' lol, my kitchen wud be demolished he would claw the doors and floor sometimes till his claws bled, he woul open the cubourds and empty everything, be sick or wee everywhere, id come home and shout and cry and wish id never left and when i was out i couldt relax wondering what would be at home waiting for me, ive devoted the last 4 months to completely changing my dogs behaviour, with the help of a few tips from 'the dog whisperer' i realised my dogs problems were more my problems he was pack leader, now i can proudly say he is the calm submissive pack member i am calm and assertive and its changed him for the better, their is no stress when i leave, he is calm and quiet, i give him hollowed out bones filled with dog meat, i close the door and leave him, he still moves the door mat (without tearing up the floor) he still scratchs the door, but this compaired to how we lived before is heaven, when we come bk he is ignored untill hes calm, Zeus is nearly perfect, were working on the at heel training and obsessions with getting nr other dogs when on a long lead but because he can be left now for longer we are both better happier and calmer pack members x

Just out of curiousity, how long did it take until you guys dogs/pup's stopped yelping in the crate? I have a 12 week old sibe and he's fine at night, his crate is right beside my bed and he's quiet right through until the following morning. However, I put him in his crate for an hour each day on his own and he just doesn't stop barking/howling for the full hour. I've done this for 2 weeks now and he's still pretty consistant with his behaviour. After the hours complete I usually wait outside the room until he goes quiet for a minute then I walk in, open up his crate and get him to do a few basic commands in his crate for treats and praise then I allow him to come downstairs. I know it's probably just a "be consistent with it" sorta thing, but I just wanted the ask the question and give a bit of information on the situation incase I'm doing something wrong. Cheers guys.