Best age for neutering

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm i know its a mine feiled when getting the right info , but before i open my big mouth i do a hell of a lot of rescearch and im with a few outher husky sites before i say anything ,so if i said anything to offend anyone it wasnt intentional and for the best and as for the comment about me being a vet .....no im not..... but a lot of vets dont know how to deal with this kind of dogs

Reading something on the internet does not make you an overnight expert on the subject and it most certainly does not qualify you to outvoice an educated professional who has taken years of university and experience in the field. You are allowed to have your opinion, however it is just that, not to be held as a fact or belittle others with different views than your own.

Females can actually go into heat as early as 5 months and it's similar to a 12 year old human getting pregnant. The puppies are usually disfigured and malnourished, not to mention the young mum isn't sure what to do with them. So sometimes it's best to have them done early.

Also with purebreds- especially huskies, they are one of the most stolen breeds and an intact Siberian is unlikely to ever be returned and then used by some person purely for profit.

my vet advised spaying before 12 mths, after 1st season. I explained i wanted to wait till she d reached maturity, 18mths-2yrs.

She went on to explain pro s and con s, but made it clear that it was my choice.

she is between season at the min, ideal time apparently and 18 mths old. But as were going away soon she wont be done, if at all for at least 6-9mths.

Im still undecided whats best for HER!!!

Em Xx

both my boys are still unfixed - personally for me I believe getting them fixed is best for them for health reasons however I don't go by their age, I go by their behaviour, when I feel my boys are mature and settled with their hormones etc then they will be snipped.

That said however, I would never criticise anyone for spaying their bog / bitch at an age that their vet recommended, at the end of the day, a vet isn't going to recommend something that isn't in the dogs best interest (well you'd seriously hope not anyway! eek)

At the end of the day, there has been numerous research programs into this and no one will ever agree on a set age that is the best, personally, as long as the owner has researched and made a decsion in the interest of their dog and their circumstances, i think the decision of that person should be respected :)

I was just thinking about this topic the other day......

My vet says 6months.

But, we had Honey done at 6 months because the vet insisted on it. I personally think it stunted her growth both mentally and physically. She is a very short dog and seems somewhat more 'spacey' in the head than huskies of her age, so she seems kind of young and puppy-ish to me..But that spaceyness could also be from head trauma from her previous owner.

I'll have to measure her height to see what she actually is, but i've seen female fully grown huskies a few times lately and she is no where near the size of them and she is 6 years old...

My mum has always remarked that Honey looks as though she is part kelpy, or border collie because of her size.

Ocea is nearly 15 wks old and is almost as tall as Honey.

I'm definitely going to wait as long as possible to get Ocea spayed. I'm going to aim for around 18mnths, and if we get there and everythings still going good, then i'd love to wait a bit longer.

But my new vet now that i've started seeing with Ocea also says 6months. And went on the explain why he thought it were best.. I don't disagree with a lot of points of desexing at around 6months, and finding homes for an unwanted litter [possibly deformed] would be a nightmare for me personally.

What can i say to my vet to help him understand why i want to wait?

I really don't want to come across as being silly and not doing whats best for my dog.

I've known many Siberians spayed or neutered at around 6 months (as a breeder, I've always sold pets on a spay/neuter contract, and 6 months is pretty usual here in the midwest US) who have developed quite normally - in fact, I haven't ever seen one that was "stunted" by early altering. There are a variety of sizes and shapes in the breed. which seem to me more related to the line from which they come - or an ancestor a couple of generations back! The best argument for spaying a female before her first heat cycle (and I've had them come in at just over 5 months!) is that it completely eliminates the risk of mammary cancer. Spaying after 1-2 cycles will help, as well, but after that, the risk goes way up. Unspayed females - of any age, although more common with older girls - can also develop pyometra, and infection of the uterus. The only cure, generally, is an emergency spay, which is much riskier than a routine spay. If not caught pretty quickly, she can become toxic enough to cause death. Neutered males obviously can't develop testicular cancers, and prostate problems are also much less likely.

Pet store puppies generally come from mills or BYBs and are often inbred and definitely not up to standard. They don't even have to be purebred, as long as they look like the breed they're trying to pass as, so your dog's mental and physical stature could very well be contributed to these factors. Spaying/Neutering usually only very slightly tampers with stature, you'd never notice unless you were a judge or breeder.Most arguments against doing it early are because of health risks associated with the procedure itself- not necessarily the aftermath. (see my links on the previous page for arguments).

However if you do want to wait, you really don't have to argue anything to your vet. It's a capitalist society and you're the one paying for it, you get the end say. If you feel you must though, just say that the issue is controversial and you're not certain it's the right timing yet, but you do plan on doing it and that you do take precautions when it concerns your dog in heat/left alone.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. My poor laika is how cani word this veryhorny at the min. He did have a bin outside that he took everything out on and it did calm him down when he was around other dogs, but due to him constantly getting covered inhis on muck andhad to take it off him. I want to get him neutered in the hope of calming him down and for the sake of all girlies on the meets (and some boys to) i was going to get him done at 12 month but i'm debating on getting it done sooner. What do you think?????

Advice much appreciated

Love Stacy and Laika xxxxxxx

hi stacey ann that is a bit of a sore topic on here at the moment and has caused an awful lot of debate-i am moving this post to the thread that it is on so that you can read the responses!

Diz

xxx

Thanks hun much appreciated i just cant decide whats best for him with it xx

Hey Stace :)

this was brought up in another post last week, i dont know whether you saw it??lmao got a tad nasty in parts :unsure:

i was told anytime from 6months off my vet...we havent had shiloh done yet but are defo considering it

again everyone will have different opinions on what age is best....some will agree with me and some wont.....i feel that shiloh is mature enough to have his plums off as the more the weeks go on i am seein a change in his behaviour, his testicles have now dropped, he has started to cock his leg when peeing and he is defo getting more boisterous with mild aggression beginning to show

at the end of the day its your decision chick...you will know what is best for Laika..if you feel he is ready then he is ready..nobody knows him better that you!! xxxx

to be honest i wouldnt really go by age, i would go by behaviour, like u have sed he is horny so this may calm him down a bit........... but as others have said different ppl will have different opinions on this subject, some you may not like, and some you will agree with................

Stacy this is some thing that people just wont agree on, I waited till Odin was 2 years old but that was just my chose. If you feel it's the right time and your vet says it's good then please do not listen to any negative response you may get. This is your chose and your's alone hun he's your dog, you know what he's like and you know if it's best for him.

We just read off a screen her but you know your dog. We all have different opinions and you can some times get bogged down and confussed so you must do whats right for you, your family and your dog.

All the best hun you will do what's right xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers for that tamz, no i didnt see it i wasnt on much last week and when i was it was not for long. He dropped his about a month ago and has been ever so proud lol. I think i may be best having it done by the end of this month as i definatley do want it doing before camping in october and i'm also looking for a second pup. I was just wondering on what peoples thoughts were to help me along as i dont want to do more damage than good. xxx

same as shiloh then :lol:

we was gunna leave it abit longer but now he is showing mild agression we just dont want to take the risk with having chloe in the house..the sooner the better for us i think :) xxxx

Hey guys,

I am aware some of you are very opinionated i knew that before i put my post up. Laika is not showing agression in the house just with other dogs when females are around and he is permenatly on the hunt for something or someone to hump and with a 2 year old in the house i cant have him doing that. He is still very playfull and giddy this is why i am slightly torn. But I am looking for a companion for him thats why i thought it may be for the best. And i dont want any accidentaly pregnancies i'm to young to be a grandma lol.

xxx

hey stacy - if u feel the time is right for him 2 b fixed - then go for it - hes over the 6month old mark that most vets reccomend so now its down 2 u and your choice xxxx

Right peeps my mind is made up. He is booked into the vets in the morning for a check up etc.... then is bye bye to his crown jewels a week on monday god he is going to hate me but love me for it in the end xxxxxxx