Brushing your husky

Hello everyone.

I am back finally and I have a few questions for you guys about brushing your huskies.

I have brushed my Jill since every day we got her (she was 2 months). She has always been loosing fur, at the beginning very little and as the time passed she lost more and more. I knew already Huskies have a thick fur and 2 times a year they "change the coat" (I am sorry I express myself so badly, I am not native English speaker and I don't know some specific terms), Now, I am wondering... Do they lose hair only those 2 times a year? Or they continue losing hair all the time, just less? How do I understand she is changing the coat?

I have spent the past hour brushing her, and it seemed never ending. The more I brushed her the more the brush collect hair. At the moment all the house is full with her fur, even if I brush her everyday and I vacuum every day. How do you guys deal with it? How long you brush your husky daily and how often?! Is there some "solution" to make her loose less hair during the not "changing coat" times?

I use this kind of brush

karlie-pettine-a-rastrello-tp_7146378699175076516.png

I also saw the "furminator" in the dog shop

FurminatorLarge.jpg

Someone know what it does exactly? Is it bad for the dog? Have you tried it?!

Thanks in advance for the replies. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i brush mine every day, they never stop loosing hair but around twice a year is the big one you will see big clumps of fur you can pluck out. i'm affraid it's never ending lol just better in stages.

As for the brush i use a rak like your first pic, i'm not a lover of the furminator i feel it cut's the gard hair. The best thing is just to keep up with your daily brush to help keep it down.

oh and your English is fine xxxxxx

furminator is one of the best on the market but I find it a little harsh to use all the time and we only use ours when blowing,reading your post I think your over brushing we only do ours once a week if not blowing and twice aday if they are but no more than that :)

If you didn't know about husky fur before you do know we too have to vac twice aday as well look on the brite side you only got 1 we got 2 and some have more :lol:

shiloh has been the same hun...loosing hair alomst everyday but tiny amounts....about 2 wk ago he started to "blow" his coat (thats the english term we use :) ) i have never seen so much hair in all my life :o i brush him for about half an hr each day, sometimes 2-3 times per day, it all depends on how scruffy he is looking- which at the moment is alot :lol:

like you it seems never ending...my house is full of his fur constantly and i hoover 3-4 times per day :lol:

im hoping it will end soon but at the moment i cant see it happening....i am just dreading it once he becomes bigger and does it- at the moment he is still a pup so its not as bad as some ive seen

good luck :) xxx

mine gets brushed every day as well and shed quite a bit. you can tell when they're changing they're coat, also known as blowing their coat, because it will be definitely never ending, and tooooons of fur!

i use the furminator and i love it, works wonders. i don't like the rake cause my boys fur is thin and it doesn't get anything up

hi, im a dog groomer and the furminator is a great tool but it needs to be use lightly as you could give your dog bald patches very easily. Its great for the wirey hair around the back end and under the tummy but be careful as you could cut his skin. Your dog will cast all year and blow his coat twice..it helps to groom every day as it speeds up the blowing process:P..it will last for a few weeks...good luck!!!

this is what I use, I can't say just how good I find it, doesn't pull the hairs & untangles any knots

Dog_comb_002_copy.jpg

We rarely brush Myshka, our grey sibe, she's short haired & copes fine without too much grooming, but Diesel has a totally different coat & needs brushing more regularly, but he's blowing his coat at the moment - fur city here, too!! laugh.gif

I agree with the other posts here. I have a regular brush as well as a furminator. I do not use the furminator all of the time... just once in a while. During coat blowing season, be prepared to brush a lot and still feel like you are not making any progress, LOL.

From the time I can remember I've had "snow dogs" I had malumutes till I was about 12, then I had a 3/4 wolf 1/4 Malumute and now I've got Huskies. What I have used growing up and love even more now is a reversible curry comb:

curry_15s-31j.jpg

These are for horses I'm told and the site I got the picture from sais they are for horses, but the large size is good for getting large clumps of fur out and it is easy to use a pick to clean out the comb or just side banging it on your hip and it drops to the ground/floor if you are going to sweep/vacuum after. If used wrong you could hurt a dog you just use it lightly and if you have a dug in clum turn it on it's side and single blade it usually comes out with little effort. I'm not saying this will work for every dog, but every dog I've owned it works great on, especially at the end of winter if you have snow melting and the thick winter coat is comming off.