DANGER FOODS

Marcus, in a sense you're right, if we take all the foods that are in any quantity, under any situation toxic for our dogs then we probably wouldn't feed them anything - the poor things would starve to death.

As was recently noted, caffeine is right up there with chocolate as far as toxicity for body weight is concerned but many of our member allow their dogs access to coffee and tea - and some even feed their dogs chocolate tidbits. The problems arise when someone who doesn't know any better allows their dog access to a substance (like chocolate in any quantity) that does minor damage to the kidneys. Over time the minor damage will build to extreme damage. But then this isn't about chocolate or caffeine it's about garlic ( and the whole onion family, btw ) so let me point you to a few web sites:

If you've looked at any or all of these, you'll find that the problem is not in the item itself but the quantity. Since, as I've read it garlic in low quantity does no permanent damage - and as you've noted does seem to control flees and tick for some dogs, then if you know what you're doing then it isn't a problem whereas if you don't you can poison your own dog and none of us want to make that kind of mistake. When someone says that "X" is bad for our dogs we can either accept it face value or do a little research and see how much and why "X" is bad. As I said earlier, if we didn't feed our dogs anything on the list, we probably starve the poor kids, so a little research is always in order.

I think, for possible future consideration, the main objection that @mydiamond, @Marc and I have to your comment is that "out of pocket" you've taken another members input and called it rubbish. We often disagree here, as I do with you, but we try to take a less offensive way ( sorry, no diplomatic way to phrase that ) of expressing our disagreement.

tell you what I apologise here moving forward I will endeavour to be more diplomatic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Nala will eat just about anything she can steal when im not looking, in regards to fresh fish as far as im aware sea fish are an important part of a huskys diet and provided vital vitamins etc. pond/canal fish carry alot of diesese so properly would avoid those. And slugs are absolutely minging like peices of snot avoid eating thoso unless your a zombie

What happens if they eat snails or slugs? We have a lot of both around there although Brooklyn hasn't shown any interest, thank goodness. Just curious.

Mine goes out looking for slugs everynight and has eaten them. Evidence in his poop. Obviously i was frantic rang the vets and they said as long as he is wormed correctly/regularly dont worry. I'm  not saying i do or dont agree with the vet but i do my best to try and get out before him to sling those slimy buggers away.

• 2 months later...

I give my Karly a raw egg every Sunday.  She gets very excited at the sound of me scrambling it.  She licks the fork then has to sit and keep her butt on the floor until the bowl is also on the floor before I allow her to eat.  I call it the Sunday Egg Ceremony.

Workaday diet is a mix of wet and dry dog food, Taste of the Wild Salmon and Sweet Potato kibble, one cup mixed with 1/3 of a can of Merrick wet dog food, and a little bit of chicken or beef broth.  She is doing the Snoopy dance while I make her dinner.  She eats once a day.  Once or twice a week she gets chicken on fresh rice with a little chicken broth and one drop of soy sauce.  Sometimes I will put some peas, carrots or green beans in this. She likes all of those.  She also loves bok choy ( ! ), broccoli, dried seaweed, almost any meat on rice, and the very occasional northern Chinese style steamed dumpling (we make them with pork and cabbage).  She adores cooked salmon.  Sometimes we are able to obtain the salmon rejects from a sushi joint which we freeze and cook for her later on, putting it on rice with some salmon juice from the pan.  Due to where we live and her fondness for Chinese cuisine, we joke she isn't a Siberian husky, but a "Chinese desert husky".  She was a very fussy eater when we adopted her, but now she eats well and burps loudly afterwards.  Happy doggie.

But no slugs!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the bones on this, is that just cooked... unlike whats used in a raw feed diet?

yeah raw bones even raw chicken bones are fine it's just cooked that are a problem

Mine likes polos? Are they alright to give him every now and then?

so does my girl lol I don't think one occasionally would hurt

• 1 month later...
Some of the common human foods that can be toxic to your dog include rhubarb, onions, garlic, spinach, beetroot, mushrooms, macadamia nuts, caffeine, raisins sultanas, grapes and chocolate intended for human consumption. Some of these foods have to be consumed in large quantities to be harmful to your dog however in some cases small amounts can be toxic.

What's a beetroot???  Is it what we'd call a beet here in the US???  Answering my own question, yes it is.

Edited by Al Jones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...