DANGER FOODS

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ewwww... Judging by the fact the a while ago some guy who ate a slug ended up in the hospital in a pretty bad shape, I would say it's not a good thing.

:eek: Omg! Why would he eat a slug? lol. I might have to go slug-exterminating.

snails are gross, and crunky . . . . I have a snail problem here, I keep stepping on them. Very happy my Blue couldn't care less for them. The only food I've given him that he's had a hard time with is cheese. I gave him the same amount I usually do, but it was very warm out and he had gas like only a dog can. Beyond that, Blue's had beer, kaluha, whiskey, vodka (never much, and I don't do it on purpose, he sneaks it) and he always ends up getting the hiccups.

Mostly Blue's just a snob. And I try really hard to keep the usual bad stuff away from him.

• 2 months later...

What happens if they eat snails or slugs? We have a lot of both around there although Brooklyn hasn't shown any interest, thank goodness. Just curious.

I picked this thread up a bit late! But...Slugs and snail can carry lung worm. Alot of wormers don't protect against lung worm so it can be fatal! But some do and are good if your dog likes to play/eat them (not mentioning any names *Roxy* lol)

• 3 weeks later...

If your dog eats a large amount of something that is toxic and you cant make it to the vet before 20 mins you make it throw up use 2 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide (for a dog 60lbs and over) in a syringe towards the back of the mouth and within 3-5 mins they should vomit if the dog has not vomited do the same amount. If after they have thrown up they seem uncoordinated or confused take them to the vet you should take your dog to the vet after making them throw up regardless. The vet can use activated charcoal after the vomiting to absorb any other toxins in the stomach or any that have made it further. If its something sharp do not make the dog throw up youll do more damage so take it straight to the vet ^.^ You should always consult a vet before doing anything but if its an emergency situation sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands :P

And about chocolate did you know Bakers chocolate is more harmful to your dog then any other chocolate becasue it has higher amounts of theobromine.

• 1 month later...

Thank you whoever listed this material it's a wonderful and accurate reference! FYI my kids love canned tuna in oil . . . can't open a can without sharing. Ivanna practically leaps into the can if given the chance! Stool is firm and well shaped even with the oil and their coats develop a nice shine. :) I've also heard that soy products are not to be fed to Huskies in that they cause digestive upset, any fact to that? Thanks.

Fr. Carmen OFM

Good Post - I do feed my pack raw eggs but it is infrequently and it is just one each, don't know if it is just one a month though I'll be more aware to not overdo it- I heard that it conditions the skin and coat. :) doesn't stop the moulting though :cool:

I've gotten from my vet that if you scramble or very hard boil the eggs, the heat destroys the enzyme that inactivates the B-complex vitamins, you do have to cook them thoroughly, no runny eggs at all. I find my kids just gobble them right up cooked as well as raw; frankly, I feel safer cooking, it also eliminates the Salmonella issue as well (everytime I see or use that word I always think of a nurse friend of mine who had two goldfish she purposely named "Sam 'n Ella" what a sense of humor . . .!) Fr. Carmen OFM

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Hidden

Excuse me but garlic what rubbish

we give our dogs garlic daily it is good as enters there system and prevents fleas/ticks as they can't stand the smell of it

Garlic in large quantities can be toxic, in small doses like what you probably give your dogs is useful.

we give our dogs garlic daily it is good as enters there system and prevents fleas/ticks as they can't stand the smell of it

excuse me, but just because something doesn't sound right to you doesn't mean you can call it "rubbish". It's a bit offensive and harsh.

Actually you are wrong. Garlic can be toxic to some dogs and affects the red blood cells in a dogs body. Small amounts will not affect and can be found in some dogs foods as well, however larger amounts definatly can. I would certainly not recommend feeding dogs garlic directly. And yes you are correct in what you are saying about fleas/ticks not liking it and yes many people do this. However that does not make the statement "Rubbish" when the statement is true.

Where in that post does it mention quantities? Yes I agree if you gave your dog a full garlic clove a day yes it would cause problems, but if you do what I do couple of small training treats a day made with garlic no issues.

So yes it is rubbish, if a lay none dog person read that under my interpretation of it

No eggs would be fed

Bones wouldn't be fed

Meat would have all the fat trimmed off it

fish wouldn't be fed

It's not husky specific so why have it on here

QUOTE=Marc;725425]Actually you are wrong. Garlic can be toxic to some dogs and affects the red blood cells in

a dogs body. Small amounts will not affect and can be found in some dogs foods as well, however larger amounts definatly can. I would certainly not recommend feeding dogs garlic directly. And yes you are correct in what you are saying about fleas/ticks not liking it and yes many people do this. However that does not make the statement "Rubbish" when the statement is true.

Marcus, in a sense you're right, if we take all the foods that are in any quantity, under any situation toxic for our dogs then we probably wouldn't feed them anything - the poor things would starve to death.

As was recently noted, caffeine is right up there with chocolate as far as toxicity for body weight is concerned but many of our member allow their dogs access to coffee and tea - and some even feed their dogs chocolate tidbits. The problems arise when someone who doesn't know any better allows their dog access to a substance (like chocolate in any quantity) that does minor damage to the kidneys. Over time the minor damage will build to extreme damage. But then this isn't about chocolate or caffeine it's about garlic ( and the whole onion family, btw ) so let me point you to a few web sites:

If you've looked at any or all of these, you'll find that the problem is not in the item itself but the quantity. Since, as I've read it garlic in low quantity does no permanent damage - and as you've noted does seem to control flees and tick for some dogs, then if you know what you're doing then it isn't a problem whereas if you don't you can poison your own dog and none of us want to make that kind of mistake. When someone says that "X" is bad for our dogs we can either accept it face value or do a little research and see how much and why "X" is bad. As I said earlier, if we didn't feed our dogs anything on the list, we probably starve the poor kids, so a little research is always in order.

I think, for possible future consideration, the main objection that [MENTION=2850]mydiamond[/MENTION], [MENTION=1]Marc[/MENTION] and I have to your comment is that "out of pocket" you've taken another members input and called it rubbish. We often disagree here, as I do with you, but we try to take a less offensive way ( sorry, no diplomatic way to phrase that ) of expressing our disagreement.