DANGER FOODS

I have seen a few posts on here about foods that huskies really shouldn't have so i thought i'd try and get all the information together just so everyone has a checklist.....

would like to point out that this is all advice given by other members-like humans some huskies may be fine with it but others react very badly

GRAPES

RAISINS

ONIONS

GARLIC

CHOCOLATE

CITRUS PEEL

PIPS/SEEDS ON FRUITS

YEAST

DOUGH

MACADAMIA NUTS

AVOCADO

SNAILS

SLUGS

Nix found this item on Ice and Water http://rogersparkdog...-owners-be.html again is just an opinion

BELOW IS A LIST THAT YOU SHOULD GENERALLY NOT GIVE DOGS....

NOT SPECIFIC TO HUSKIES......

Alcoholic beverages

Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food

Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources

Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food

Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine

Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts

Can cause vomiting.Fat trimmingsCan cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins

Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.

Hops(found in real ale beer)

Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron

Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver

Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nutsContain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana

Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products

Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage

Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms

Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder)Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons

Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums

Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems

Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs

Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

****MOST HUSKIES HAVE RAW EGGS AND ARE FINE, IT IS EVEN RECOMMENDED FOR SOME RAW DIETS TO HELP WITH COAT ETC PLEASE SEE NOTE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE****

Raw fish

Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt

If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String

Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods

Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts)

Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet.

Fat

should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco

Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough

Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Xylitol

(artificial sweetener)Can cause liver failure. Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. Xylitol can cause an increase in the insulin circulating through your dog's body. That can cause your dog's blood sugar to drop and lead to liver failure. Initial symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination. Eventually, the dog may have seizures, and liver failure can occur within just a few days.

THANKS TO NIX FOR THE LINK TO THE GENERIC LIST.

****MOST PEOPLE DO FEED THEIR HUSKIES SOME OF THESE ITEMS SUCH AS MILK, SMALL AMOUNTS OF LIVER,FAT, POTATO (FOUND IN KIBBLE) AND EGGS AND THEY ARE FINE......... AS I SAY IT IS A GENERIC LIST

****FISH (AS LONG AS IN SUNFLOWER OIL AND NOT BRINE) SUCH AS SARDINES, MACAREL, TROUT ETC HUSKIES SEEM TO LOVE!!!!

****PLEASE NOTE BONES ARE OBVIOUSLY FED TO DOGS-THEY ARE ONLY DANGEROUS IF COOKED-AS COOKED BONES CAN SPLINTER AND GET STUCK IN THE DOGS THROAT.

GOOD POINT FROM KEATH-BONES AND FISH

As to bones and raw depends on it origins but as most food that is raw is bought from local supermarkets and butchers they have to by law to meet regulations for human consumption so if all bought lagit an not straight from farms an slaughter houses etc as left overs for example you should be fine for example pork is not really good raw but if bought at human grade its frozen for set amount of time to kill off that specific bacteria.

Another example salmon though dogs would love it an spoilt if they get it lol if you were to catch one direct from river you can potentialy kill ur dog because the bacteria has not been treated where if you bought it from a store it has to be treated for human consumption killing the bacteria that would cause such effects but if you caught it fresh and cooked it then it would also be fine as it would kill bacteria

GOOD POINT FROM NIX-EGGS

In recent years, this has definitely become a question that all dog owners ask. Since raw food diets for dogs have become more and more popular, more dog owners are looking to see what kind of raw foods they can give their dogs in order to keep them healthy from the inside out. However, raw feeding is definitely a decision that an owner must make. Even today veterinarians are split on whether or not giving a dog raw food, like a raw egg is healthy, or if in the end it can cause some sort of ailment that may ultimately hurt the dog.

If you decide that raw feeding may be a good option for your dog, it does take a lot of research and time in order to ensure that you are feeding your dog healthy food that won’t hurt his digestive tract. Of course a raw diet for dogs consists of raw meat, fruits, and vegetables, but owners can also feed their dog nuts, dairy products, and even raw eggs. Raw eggs are always on the chopping block so to speak, but many owners that do feed their dog raw eggs report that it does wonders. Since egg products are in most dog foods, owners don’t see why giving their dog a raw egg is a problem.

Owners who give their dog a raw egg once a week say that the egg is extremely helpful when it comes to shaping a dog’s coat and fur. Eggs are a great source of protein and the protein helps to protect the coat and keep it shiny. When you feed your dog a raw egg, even the shell is okay if the dog wants to eat it.

Many people worry about salmonella due to the fact that the egg is raw. But, dogs have great immune systems, and their body doesn’t react the same way a human’s body does when it is introduced to salmonella. If you are extremely concerned, you can always cook the egg by frying it, blanching it, or boiling it.

Dog owners who do feed their dog raw eggs point out that it’s important that the dog is given no more than one raw egg a week. Too many raw eggs can upset a dog’s stomach, as well as affect the dog’s white blood cell count. Too many raw eggs can also cause your dog other ailments as the yolk is extremely fatty and contains a lot of cholesterol. This can be a problem, so be sure not to feed more than one raw egg a week.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

An excellent and very comprehensive post with a lot of good information. Thanks!

You remarked on canned fish in brine. How true! Mackerel in brine resulted in explosive diarrhea with my guys when they split a can. On the other hand, sardines in brine seem to be OK, so long as I limit each dog to 2 or 3 sardines.

• 3 months later...

I am not saying these things are good for dogs and probably should never have given Buck them. And are making a point of never giving Shaer and Talon grapes etc

Tea or Coffee he drank at least 2 cups a day with 2 spoons of sugar.

Chocalate Lots (never dog choc he hated it)

Toffee Lots of it

Grapes often

He liked a lager every now and then.

He liked onion rings.

He had all his teeth, never had health problems relating to any of these foods. And lived a long happy life. He never was fat and was within normal wieght for a husky.

What I am trying to say is don't panic if your dog as eaten any of these in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure that the Thiamine deficiency thing is only caused by freshwater fish such as those from the Carp family. Will have a dig around on my lappy to see if I have the info still. Used to own a particularly rare, in the UK, snake that was a non-feeder and looked into fish as an option to get her feeding. If I am remembering correctly, certain freshwater species are high in the enzyme which breaks down Thiamine in the body. The problem arrises when the fish are consumed and the enzyme from the fish breaks the thiamine down before the body does so the animal doesn't get the benefit. It was on one of the reptile forums. Will post a link if I can find it again.

So is raw fish a big no then or ok now and again ??? i give Sky raw fish from the supermarket when ever i have fish !!!!! oopppsss

If I'm reading the article correctly figure 2 gives a list of definate "don't feeds" and figure 3 gives a list of fish which either shouldn't be fed (shown with a + next to them) or "can be fed" (shown with a - next to them). The list in figure 3 seems to indicate that freshwater fish should be avoided and that saltwater species, with the exception of those listed in figure 2 and Herring, are all good.

Maybe someone who's a little more knowledgable could confirm that. Marine Biology wasn't my thing at uni ;) .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

a small amount of garlic is a natural flea preventative its when eaten in large quantities that its a problem. Most of the things on the list in small amounts are not toxic the only thing that is toxic even in small amounts are the grapes.. a handful can cause kidney failiure very quickly although like all things its dependant of the size/weight of the dog injesting them!

• 1 month later...