How does one teach a Husky to SWIM?

So Tigh is a year and a half now.

last year he was scared of the car and now he loves it.

last year he would run away from the water with his tail tucked in.

I took him to the beach on monday and he jumped in.

I took him today and I got him to go in up to belly and neck.

Now how do i get him to swim? I was thinking Food. If i have food he will follow me into a pit of fire.

But is this safe?

Will he know what to do?

How did you guys do it?

I take my girls to the beach all the time now my sakari being the oldest she is 3 and few months she hate sgoing in the water because of the waves so i have to carry her lazy ass out past where the waves break ll take them to point where they can't touch the bottom with their feet as there seems to be a panic point with some and as soon as their feet leave the ground they instinctivly go in to a doggy paddle keep them supported under their stomach and as they paddle move with them even if just in circles if they bite the water this is a good thing they do it to test it not to swallow it an drink it just like we spalsh about with our arms.

My nukka is 13 weeks on friday coming up and as long as its hot she will be taking her 1st swim i was going to do it befor but weather was rubbish i will try and get it on video and post it.

Dogs are amazing natural swimmers esp husky's as their webbed feet pushes them through the water faster so they can use less energy but keep moving to stay afloat when you're dog is completly relaxed in the water you should be able to lay them on their back resting on you an give them a fuss ad they will not fight it.

I would not suggest food to get them in the water as in attempt to try and get food from you they may swallow a lo of salt water which is not particularly good for them salt water dehydrates dogs as it does us humas (also why at fairs if you have salt on items of food they put a little to much on to make you thirsty increasing sales) lol

The first time Ozzy swam he just jumped in a went for it. Micah needed a bit of coaxing and we did as Keith suggests, she is still not as confident as Ozzy, and stays near the edges of the pool, dam or sea, but they both love the water. And yes, be very careful of their claws smile.gif

How does he not sink !!!! :lol:

rolfmao @emiliy!!!!! i was going to ask the same thing!!!!!

ozzy doesn't seem to have this reflex!!! he decides to look like he's drowning until i pull him out!!!!

Green peace come out to watch big D swim :wub: lol

My two don't swim - they paddle at best but that's it so i can't be much help lol

ha ha ha ha greenpeace.............cant wait til val sees this thread ur sooooooooooo in for it stridg!!!!

blink.gif errrmmmm crap sad.gif

How very dare you laugh at Big D's expense!! He's the Ian Thorpe of the husky world, I'll have you know!!

That's it, at husky camp, I'm gonna get him to sit on you all one by one and tell you what he thinks of being made fun of!! angry.gif

:rofl:

wouldn't say he killed it because he wasn't worked but do agree he was defo not exercised enough but even still a husky seems to magicly replensih its energy with in 20 mins if that an straight back to its en-slaught of what ever they can get away with its just the way they are lol.. when are you going to try swimming next :D