Please can you tell me I am right?

skysky69

:( Well some of you may remember when I took Arctic in, she was a very sorry state. Her health improved when she came to us, but now seems to be going the other way and I think my poor girl is giving up. I am typing through tears not really knowing whether I am doing the right thing, but I have made her "appointment" for later today. She had a catalogue of problems in the first place, deaf, back end doesn't work properly, tail doesn't work, drags her feet when she walks, urinary incontinence, strange hacking cough, rotten teeth. In the last week she has eaten only sporadically, probably the equivalent to a couple of mouthfuls every 36 hours, has started hacking up a green flem like substance, today she has a really runny nose that keeps dripping, as well as the growth on her face, new polyp type things are growing in other areas of her face too, the growths on her lip have grown in size, this means that her long tooth from the top is constantly spearing the growth on her bottom lip, she keeps rubbing this whole area either with her paw or on the ground. The vet wants to stick a needle in the lump and extract to see whether they can see what it is under a microscope but the eventuality is still the same - it needs to come off whether it is nasty or not. All of these procedures are a real invasion of her personal space and cost a lot of money, of which a) I don't have b ) I don't believe would actually make her happy. I feel that I have hopefully given her a few months of happiness and experience that people can be nice and caring and loving but I think it would be kinder to now let her go. I don't know why I am telling you all this, just really wanting some reassurance that I am doing the right thing - and that I am not a bad person.........

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww hun i am so sorry that you're going through this *huggss*

You are doing the right thing by letting her go, you've done the best you can and given her happiness for the few months you had her. She was lucky to find a lovely person like you!

Please give her a cuddle for me! <3

i'm so sorry she seems to be getting worse, i had to go through this with my dog Storm at Christmas and make the decision, you know in your heart that she isn't getting better only worse and you have tried your best with her, i don't think you need anybody to tell you whats best for her it sounds like you already know but it's a horrible decision to have to make. The one thing i will say is no tears or crying you be strong for her and hold her tight and give big kisses until she goes to a better place where she can run and play. After my dog Storm closed his eyes for the last time i fell apart but please try to be strong until then for her.

Oh hunny, you're doing the right thing. You have given her the best last few moments she could have wanted and do not beat yourself up about it. It is far kinder for her to go now than after operations where she either won't recover from or will be in more pain because of.

Give her a snuggle from me xxx

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. In my opinion, you are doing the right thing. We recently lost our 17-year-old Siberian boy Nikita, and, in the end, it all came down to that we felt quality of life is most important, and it was "time."

The following is entirely my opinion, and I understand that folks will disagree. I know everybody has different thoughts on what to do -- I had a friend who prolonged the "life" of her Labrador much longer than I felt was appropriate (again, my opinion). To me, I think that dogs live in the here and the now, and if all that here and now brings them is pain and suffering with no hope of recovery to a reasonable quality of life, then it's time. I think that people can prolong themselves through illnesses and endure horrible pain because people do want to see some of the events that they know the future holds, the next grandkids' basketball game, an upcoming wedding, whatever. I don't think that dogs function that way. In my opinion, prolonging an old dog through an illness is not the kindest choice.

Good luck to you and stay strong. It's a heartbreaking thing to go through, but just know that you brought Arctic much joy in her golden years (and at least one really, really long walk!) wink.gif

Always a though descision to make but you know deep down you're doing the right thing, no-one here would disagree. Someone said earlier that Dogs live in the here and now, we'd have all our memories etc that keep us going when illness strikes but Artic won't, best she stops suffering. Thoughts are with you both.

Oh Kirsty I am so sorry - it's such a tough decision to make. I admire your courage. Stay strong, she will be free from pain, I think you're doing the kindest thing for her.

You are in my thoughts at this sad time, just spend your last few moments remembering the good times she had xxxxxxx

bless you for all you've done for her but now your doing the best thing any one could do for her, your setting her free to run again strong and happy. So don't be sad be happy for her, knowing you gave her happy times and now your the one that can take the pain away xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thinking of you huge hugs

Kirstie, it's one of the harder sides of being a pet owner, but you know your Arctic best & we all know you wouldn't want her to suffer. She has had a wonderful twilight time on Earth with you, she had everything a husky needed & now, you have to put her needs first. We all want to be selfish & keep our pets with us forever but deep down, we know when we have to make the tough decision for their sake.

My thoughts are with you all right now, give Arctic big hugs & treasure the time spent with her

I think I just feel like such a failure, I took her from that horrid situation thinking I could fix her and make her all better and we did fix her to a certain extent but mentally I don't think she would have ever been our dog, I think she had had too much and for that very brief 4 minutes of a night when I could get her to play (as she knows what time pigs ear o'clock is) it seemed she forgot herself and left all her troubles somewhere else, but for the other 23 hours and 56 minutes a day she is not a happy dog and that makes me feel like a failure that I wasn't able to save her. As someone who loves animals soooo much it is heartbreaking. Thank you for all your kind words.

:( Well some of you may remember when I took Arctic in, she was a very sorry state. Her health improved when she came to us, but now seems to be going the other way and I think my poor girl is giving up. I am typing through tears not really knowing whether I am doing the right thing, but I have made her "appointment" for later today. She had a catalogue of problems in the first place, deaf, back end doesn't work properly, tail doesn't work, drags her feet when she walks, urinary incontinence, strange hacking cough, rotten teeth. In the last week she has eaten only sporadically, probably the equivalent to a couple of mouthfuls every 36 hours, has started hacking up a green flem like substance, today she has a really runny nose that keeps dripping, as well as the growth on her face, new polyp type things are growing in other areas of her face too, the growths on her lip have grown in size, this means that her long tooth from the top is constantly spearing the growth on her bottom lip, she keeps rubbing this whole area either with her paw or on the ground. The vet wants to stick a needle in the lump and extract to see whether they can see what it is under a microscope but the eventuality is still the same - it needs to come off whether it is nasty or not. All of these procedures are a real invasion of her personal space and cost a lot of money, of which a) I don't have b ) I don't believe would actually make her happy. I feel that I have hopefully given her a few months of happiness and experience that people can be nice and caring and loving but I think it would be kinder to now let her go. I don't know why I am telling you all this, just really wanting some reassurance that I am doing the right thing - and that I am not a bad person.........

I have no doubt that you are doing the right thing. It is much harder to end suffering than it is to prolong it. Well done to you for recognising ts time to let Arctic have peace.

My thoughts are with you this evening and you have my deepest condolances.

You have done the right thing.

x

Death is nothing at all

I have only slipped away into the next room

I am I and you are you

Whatever we were to each other

That we are still

Call me by my old familiar name

Speak to me in the easy way you always used

Put no difference into your tone

Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow

Laugh as we always laughed

At the little jokes we always enjoyed together

Play, smile, think of me, pray for me

Let my name be ever the household word that it always was

Let it be spoken without effort

Without the ghost of a shadow in it

Life means all that it ever meant

It is the same as it ever was

There is absolute unbroken continuity

What is death but a negligible accident?

Why should I be out of mind

Because I am out of sight?

I am waiting for you for an interval

Somewhere very near

Just around the corner

All is well.

Oh Kirstie, I just want to give you a big hug! How can you think you didnt save her? Of cause you did! You saved her from that awful place and now you've saved her from ever having to sufer again, the only sad thing about this whole tale is that she wasnt given to you sooner so you could have given her even more pigs ear o'clocks!

You did everything you possibley could for her and finally the most loving thing a person can do for their pet when they are in pain thats not going to get any better, I only hope I have the strength to do what must be done when the time is right.

Bless you people like you are the real heros of this world!

Sleep well lovely Arctic we'll see you again one day... :( xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx