Scooter training

Ok so here we go i have been looking for training manuals specificly for scootering but can seem to find nothing.

I'm after

in depth training guide with exact harnesses needed to use

Weights with age ratio

Ttraining age and distances covered at that age

To basic commands an meanings

Sakari does pull but only with other dogs where as when nukka is of age her and sakari will be my two pulling dogs so i need to get it all down for my self an my 2

Cheers for any posts replied people or even links to manuals would be appreciated as i have probs just over looked such things

:D

cheers marc it has some good tips for oncde they are old enough and ready to pull the scooter but im after as much as i can on build up antraining befor they officaly pull the scooter with my weight but cool info none the less :D

will read jetts now :D

EQUIPMENT NEEDED

To get started you’ll need:

• An off road style dog scooter with between 16 and 24†diameter wheels.

Some sled dog equipment:

• A shockline (to reduce the impact of pulling and stopping on the dog, and you!)

• Either a single lead tug or double lead tug (for two dogs)

• A neckline if you are running 2 dogs

• An X-back harness or scootering harness for each dog

• Depending on the terrain you are running on, some dog booties

• For you, wear a cycle helmet, elbow pads, kneepads and long sleeved tops and trousers.

Dog Weight to Human Ratio

Dogs must be in their prime or younger if you expect them to pull the full weight of the unit/rider for any sustained period.

Dogs younger than 1 year should not be allowed to pull hard for any sustained period, in other words the rider should be kicking and doing all the work on the scooter.

After 1 year. you can slowly allow the dog to increasingly express and even encourage their pulling drive.

Dogs older than 10 yrs. should generally NOT be regularly exercised in these vehicles. The dogs pace should be of their control and not that of the rider.

The maximun rider weight (to expect the dog to pull, and power the whole unit) is 100 lbs. more than the dogs' weight. (for exp. if the dogs' weight is 50 lbs. the max. rider wight should be 150 lbs.) If there are multiple dogs you would add up the totaldog weight then add your 100 lbs.

COMMON COMMANDS

Hike! or Pull - "Go forward"

Whooooa - "Come to a smooth stop" (not a sudden halt)

Gee - "Turn right" (like "Gee whiz")

Haw - "Turn left"

This way - "Run in the direction the scooter is pointing"

On By - "Go on by the distraction"

Line Out - "Stand still with the tugline tight, facing forward away from the scooter". (like a stand-stay) This command prevents the dog from turning to face you or returning to you when you are at the scooter. It also prevents tangling of the line.

Easy - "Go slower."

Hup hup - "Go faster."

TEACHING COMMANDS

Teach directional commands while you are out walking or running with your dog. Example, say "gee" as you lead him into a right turn, or say "whoa" as you come to a gradual stop. Be gentle and show your dog what you want.

Take him for a walk. When you come to a fork in the trail, or come to a corner or street crossing, use the commands "gee" or "haw" or "whooooa" as appropriate... The more you use them, the faster your dog will learn them. Some people prefer to say "right" and "left".

RUNNING YOUR DOG WITH THE SCOOTER

First practice riding the scooter without a dog, you will need to get a feel for how the scooter moves . Try Riding down a hill or on a flat narrow trail. Have a helper pull you with the tugline. Practice using the brakes for both coasting and stopping. Practice banking around a curve. Your attention when dog scootering should be on the dog, not on riding the scooter.

The dog's first lesson is that the scooter is FUN because he gets to RUN. Keep the run short for the first few trips. Stop well before the dog is tired. Stop while he still wants to go.

For your first run with your dog, choose a familiar trail, not an open field as the dog does not know where to run. A narrow trail is better than a wide one. If you can, bring a family member or friend on a bicycle, and ask them to ride in front of you. This technique is often referred to as using a "rabbit"...the cyclist (rabbit) rides out front, and your dog is encouraged to "give chase". Sometimes it is best if you are the rabbit since your dog will run to keep up with you.

The first run might be as short as a few minutes or a half a city block. Remember that a dog that is out of shape and/or overweight will tire quickly and even can damage joints or pull muscles.

Watch your tugline with an eagle eye. You do not want it to wrap around your front wheel or the dog's leg. Keep it tight by using the brakes lightly whenever the dog slows down. Keeping the line tight is your responsibility. Do not let the scooter coast up next to the dog. The dog's job is always to hold the line out tight in front of the scooter. Novice dogs may pull sideways sniffing and lifting their legs. They will suddenly stop to poop. Running causes the bowels to move. When first training the dog, steer the scooter to one side of him so that if he stops suddenly, you will miss him if you can't stop in time. Do not ride directly behind him.

Never scooter in hot weather. Cool weather is best for your dog. In warm weather, scooter in the cool of the day.

Keep your dog well hydrated with water – not too cold – to avoid heat stress. Do this before, during and after their run.

EQUIPMENT NEEDED

To get started you’ll need:

• An off road style dog scooter with between 16 and 24†diameter wheels.

Some sled dog equipment:

• A shockline (to reduce the impact of pulling and stopping on the dog, and you!)

• Either a single lead tug or double lead tug (for two dogs)

• A neckline if you are running 2 dogs

• An X-back harness or scootering harness for each dog

• Depending on the terrain you are running on, some dog booties

• For you, wear a cycle helmet, elbow pads, kneepads and long sleeved tops and trousers.

Dog Weight to Human Ratio

some quality info much appreciated ;-)

I remember my first scooter with Ole and it was nearly 2 years ago now

He loved to run and this was a great way to release all his energy as his recall was terrible.

Ole's first mushing harness was a web master harness, then a shoulder harness from Nordkyn, now he uses a ManMat shoulder one.

I love the pattern of the ManMat harness and the green looks fab against my dogs coat....but I love the polar fleece on the Nordkyn ones, it's so soft.

Scootering is a great sport to get into...and it's a pity the scooters are so expensive to buy and then shipping charges.

Always check ebay for scooters but make sure you get something with good brakes!

Good brakes are a must especially if you plan to run 2 dogs.

I do already have a scooter for my eldest dog but she is a follower my new girl who is to young to pul a scooter at the mo but whe will be my lead and encourage my sakari with training hence why i want to do everything i can from start. :D so the milk crates will be my 2nd thing when of age but for now its comand training from looks of it but thanks for all advice so far :-)

I dco already have a scooter for my eldest dog but she is a follower my new girl who is to young to pul a scooter at the mo ut whe will be my lead and encourage my sakari with training hence why i want to do everything i can from start. :D

Ah I see

I started training Hector at 8 months old (with canicross) and around 11 months he was hitched to the scooter with Ole for short runs.

Now these short runs lasted for 5 minute on flat ground, but Hector loved to run and he pulled Ole along and still does lol

Starting them young with the training does make a difference so goodluck

"First practice riding the scooter without a dog, you will need to get a feel for how the scooter moves . Try Riding down a hill or on a flat narrow trail. Have a helper pull you with the tugline. Practice using the brakes for both coasting and stopping. Practice banking around a curve. Your attention when dog scootering should be on the dog, not on riding the scooter"

This bit I feel is invaluable and not something i'd thought much about until now

Added to rep great advice everyone :up:

Ah I see

I started training Hector at 8 months old (with canicross) and around 11 months he was hitched to the scooter with Ole for short runs.

Now these short runs lasted for 5 minute on flat ground, but Hector loved to run and he pulled Ole along and still does lol

Starting them young with the training does make a difference so goodluck

Now you should see these two go, they're brilliant. We are going to have a race next year, sibes versus setters - watch this space:P :lol:

It is amazing to see the running action of the setters though, totally different to the sibes, they look like horses trotting, their legs go up so much. But they are fast and absolutely love doing it.