prong vs. chain collars

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to use a holti but it always used to ride up into his eyes, the canny collar is a full collar round the neck and were the holti pulls their head to the side the canny pull their nose down. it does not ride up into his eyes and it leaves no marks on his nose i just find it alot better for him. i could not walk him for 6 month due to him pulling but with the canny i can walk him all the time xxxx

i used to use a holti but it always used to ride up into his eyes, the canny collar is a full collar round the neck and were the holti pulls their head to the side the canny pull their nose down. it does not ride up into his eyes and it leaves no marks on his nose i just find it alot better for him. i could not walk him for 6 month due to him pulling but with the canny i can walk him all the time xxxx

Thanks for the advice! Will try one :D

Just a word of caution for anyone who is going through training tool after training tool...

Every time you try a new tool or method and fail with it, the dog becomes more resistant to training. The more he learns that he can learn to pull on any tool and therefore 'win' through more strength and persistence, the harder it will be for you to teach them otherwise.

Dogs can learn to pull on any tool, training a dog to walk on a loose leash is not about the tool alone but the training method you use with it.

If you put a tool on your dog that, every time you put it on, the dog fights it or clearly dislikes it the entire time it's wearing it you have to ask why you are doing that to your dog.

Just a word of caution for anyone who is going through training tool after training tool...

Every time you try a new tool or method and fail with it, the dog becomes more resistant to training. The more he learns that he can learn to pull on any tool and therefore 'win' through more strength and persistence, the harder it will be for you to teach them otherwise.

Dogs can learn to pull on any tool, training a dog to walk on a loose leash is not about the tool alone but the training method you use with it.

If you put a tool on your dog that, every time you put it on, the dog fights it or clearly dislikes it the entire time it's wearing it you have to ask why you are doing that to your dog.

Surely all dogs respond differently to different equipment used, it may take some trial and error to find one that best suits you, your dog and your method of training.

Just because we try diffirent things doesn't mean it is a negative thing

for people that only have a few hours morning an nite to walk their dog they may need some sort of tool, if i had all my time at home i'd prob just keep at it but unfortunately i don't. So aid is needed xxxx

Agree with this, i have a busy life with work, horses, dogs and everything else. Though i would love to spend hours on training it just isn't possible so though i do keep up training when i can, it is also useful to have a 'tool' that also helps :)

Surely all dogs respond differently to different equipment used, it may take some trial and error to find one that best suits you, your dog and your method of training.

Just because we try diffirent things doesn't mean it is a negative thing

Of course all dogs respond to different things, that is why it's useful to have someone knowlegable assess you and your dog to show you what will work best.

When you see owners who try a million different things to fix a behaviour, to no prevail, the dog only learns that it can beat you every time you try something new and the behaviour becomes more ingrained.

There is no positive in teaching the dog that despite what you try, they can win through persistence and strength. Of course it's great that an owner won't give up, but there is nothing worse than seeing people go from tool to tool to tool because they are relying solely on the tool to do the work, instead of finding a method that will work well to teach the dog what you want.

Agree with this, i have a busy life with work, horses, dogs and everything else. Though i would love to spend hours on training it just isn't possible so though i do keep up training when i can, it is also useful to have a 'tool' that also helps :)

I am not saying that you shouldn't use a tool by any means, I have no problem with tools but they should only be used to assist you with training, not instead of training. Putting a bandaid over a problem is not going to fix it.

I work full time and have three dogs and a cat, busy family life etc etc and I still find time to train my dogs - you don't need hours to do it.

for people that only have a few hours morning an nite to walk their dog they may need some sort of tool, if i had all my time at home i'd prob just keep at it but unfortunately i don't. So aid is needed xxxx

A few hours?? That's more than enough time to train your dog - my dogs would be lucky to have a half hour walk each day laugh.gif

Nothing against using a tool to help you btw - but geez, I'd love to have a few hours to spare with my dogs each day LOL!

A few hours?? That's more than enough time to train your dog - my dogs would be lucky to have a half hour walk each day laugh.gif

Nothing against using a tool to help you btw - but geez, I'd love to have a few hours to spare with my dogs each day LOL!

I think I understand what Linda is getting at. . . lol laugh.gif

I too have a few hours, but in those few hours after getting home from work.

I like everyone else, have to walk the dogs for exercise and bowel relief. (1st priority after getting home)

Go to the shops for food and supplies.

Cook and eat.

Feed the dogs

Deal with Family issues.

and try to catch half an hour of just "sigh" flop into a chair relaxation before taking them out for a last "poo" walk.

then going to bed and starting the whole day over again.

Yes a few hours available but not exclusively available for walking and training.

For minor corrections, we really like our half-check (ours is half nylon, half chain). Dakota can't pull out of it, but the nylon part limits how small it can go, which makes me feel comfortable with it, because it can't choke him if he pulls or something.

I've heard good things about prong collars but haven't used one; I was scared off by the look of them.

I guess I could add that we used a Canny Collar for a handful of weeks as a tool to get to the point where we could use the half-check. It was easier for me to teach him the verbal commands and the stop/go technique with the Canny Collar, because I wasn't being dragged down the street from my shoulder socket. After Dakota learned to behave on the Canny, the knowledge transferred immediately to his half check. We use the Canny now about once a month, just as a refresher if he starts to get pully.

We had first tried Gentle Leader after a friend had success with it, but it did not work well for Dakota. I was afraid to put tension on it, because he would pull his head around to the side and try to keep going, it was scary. He never had that problem with the Canny.

pinch collar is good and 2- 3 corrections and they wont pull again the problem you get with haltis etc some dogs hate them and my dog could easily get it of and it anoyed him he stops and claws at it no point putting the dog through that chock chains are no good most dogs will pull through and chock them selfs and cause neck problems with mine the past owner never taught him to heal and through all the stuff i got i found pinch was best he enjoyed walking with it and he never pulls now i can walk him on a normal collar and he only pulls for a min or 2 or when he sees a cat or dog then hes normal

What sort of things do you need to correct her for in the training class?

I would try a half check collar myself, but that is without having seen your dog. Nothing against prongs but I use martingales/slip collars myself and I've never needed anything more than that to give a correction. I prefer half checks and prongs to head collars myself, head collars are not suited to all dogs and I find from a training perspective prongs and half checks. are the more effective training tool.

Though for obedience I do most of my training off leash on a flat collar.

For the obedience class we are required to use either a chain or prong collar. She only has one week left of class though.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I definitely use the prong collar as well as anything else we have tried as an aide and am in no way dependent on it. I have horses and know very well that a tool is only as good as the

person using it and the training that goes along with it.

I personally don't like using the harness unless we're biking or out on trail with the horses because it really seems to encourage pulling whereas with any other collar she pulls much less.

I agree that the prong collar looks intimidating, but in actual use I think its a good collar. It loosens much quicker than a chain collar, applies pressure more evenly, and also has a limit to

how tight it can be pulled. I can give it a small tug with one finger and it works as a correction. Nira doesn't seem uncomfortable at all even when being corrected, it just gets her attention.

It's interesting to see what everyone else does :)