Dexter has had a rough few weeks... he started to go downhill right before his surgery but he was stabilized and they went in to try and located the shunt and fix it. Unfortunately the shunt is inside his liver and not on the outside, which means at some point he will be needing another surgery. We have spent 10,000 dollars on Dexter within the last 7 weeks, and it really saddens me to say we are unable to get this second surgery at this time. So now our option is to either find a Husky Rescue that can take him and get him the surgery soon, or we try to medically manage him ourself and we keep him on a no protein diet and feed him supplements and continue his medication until we are able to give him his next surgery... it's really sad seeing him like this. He came home today, he has a little cone around his neck and he looks really sick and there is a huge cut down his belly. The cone is going to be on him for about 3 weeks and he can't do any running or exercise pretty much, for those 3 weeks. He is on blue hills prescription food and lactulose to help get the ammonia out of his stool. Fingers crossed he does well because the first week post-op is the most critical. Seizures are the big thing we are praying don't happen because they'll be bad enough to where he may have to be put down... even worse than seizures, he could fall into a coma by chance... so just everyone keep us in mind, please!
I posted some pictures from the last two weeks... the one of Justin and him in the car was Tuesday morning (07-22-2015) before his surgery and the ones with the cone on his head are from today... he just came home. He's doing okay! Super sleepy! I love our little man. The other pictures are just a few cute ones and one from me holding him the third day he was stuck at the ER.