Jolanmg

Help please! Two female huskies won’t stop fighting

Hi! I have two Siberian huskies and when we got the second female it has been non stop fighting. Sometimes it gets so bad blood is shed. I don’t know what to do anymore the last thing I want to do is get rid of one. They are both spayed also. Help me please!!! 

31EBA9BF-180A-4ED8-8183-5801830663BD.jpeg

• Like 1

Honestly there may not be anything that can be done. My girl and my brothers female mutt tear into each other as soon as they see each other. Been that way ever since mine turned 6 months old. She's 5 1/2 now.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

hate to say this but you may have to rehome one, huskys and malamutes are known for same sex agression some dogs just will not  have another of the same sex near them. which is why i normaly say get one of both and things should be ok

Is there any trigger that starts it off? Your best bet might be to get a behaviourist in who can actually see the dogs interacting

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 2

They will be good and play for a while then all the sudden it turns out to a huge fight. Sometimes it’s over toys or bones but usually we try to pick everything up before we put them together. It sucks because sometimes they get along great then other times they fight bad. I just wish theres something i could do so I don’t have to get rid of one. :( 

How long have you had them both for? My 2 used to fight over food and toys when I first got them, but they don't anymore, it took a few months for it to stop! They don't have toys anymore, I just give them a Kong each when they are in their crates, and I feed them at opposite ends of the kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• Like 2

Look at how they play before it becomes an issue there is something one of them is doing?? Sly and Maliki use to have terrible fights because Sly couldn't figure out how to play with Maliki. Maliki is very intolerant of adolescent females trying to do things she doesn't approve off. What they are doing is finding which one is more dominant.
If you can't watch it work on them separate them in different cages in the same place looking at each other not side by side. Take them out one at a time for a while. Then slowly work them back together.

They will be good and play for a while then all the sudden it turns out to a huge fight. Sometimes it’s over toys or bones but usually we try to pick everything up before we put them together. It sucks because sometimes they get along great then other times they fight bad. I just wish theres something i could do so I don’t have to get rid of one.  
Toys with two dogs or more is never a good idea. Mine don't play with toys when they go to play together. Dont leave anything on the floor. If you want them to play with toys make them lay down with their toys in separate places.

• Like 1

An option is possibly getting a "male" Husky or Malamute around the two females. (It's like fish...two females to one male.) But we are talking dogs (much more serious). Definitely have a Dog Behaviorist come to observe them together.
Please do not give up and please do not get rid of one.

I’m also wondering how long you have you had your second husky? It can take a while for them to adjust and admittedly not all dogs will get along, however that’s down to a clash in personality rather than anything else. If they’re playing fine sometimes then fighting another time then I would have thought that would suggest it’s not full on dislike of each other but something is triggering it off: over excitement can lead to aggression, possession/ownership of food/toys/people etc... as others have suggested a behaviourist would be a good idea as they can see what’s going on and teach you how to overcome it. Any time a new pack member enters the family, it throws everything up into the air and an order needs to be re established.

• Like 3

There are dominance issues with my 2 at times, they’ve had 3 fights up to now, blood was drawn on one occasion. So last year I spent time watching them play and looking out for the triggers and once I’d realised the point at which their play became too aggressive I introduced 2 words ‘what’s this’ and gave them a small treat, I did this in the house and on walks so now if they’re becoming too aggressive I say ‘what’s this’ and they immediately stop fighting and come to me, they don’t always get a treat sometimes it’s a squeaky toy or I’ll play ball with them. It’s about redirecting their aggression.
Hope you find a solution
Mental stimulation works as well, but I usually do that before I can see that one or both of them wants to play fight.

• Like 2

hate to say this but you may have to rehome one, huskys and malamutes are known for same sex agression some dogs just will not  have another of the same sex near them. which is why i normaly say get one of both and things should be ok

I met a lady with two female huskies and she was experiencing the same thing as the OP. I think you may be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I own four husky females what is going on is one of them is starting it. That's it watch them the one that sets the trigger for the other gets in trouble then send it back out to play.

• Like 1