• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HuskyNewbie

HuskyNewbie

• Members..
  • 24 posts
  • 7 topics
  • 2 likes

Posted 30 November 2010 - 14:38 (02:38 PM)

So I was told today the wolf hybrid im taking care of can't have regular flea medication?She's Timber Wolf/Husky/Malamute... She's not TERRIBLY bad, but you can feel the eggs and occasionally you will get a flea. I"m not HUGE on chemicals being put on dogs, i've always had small dogs who never needed flea medication....

Are they are any good natural remedys or anything I can use? She'll be getting a bath later today once I get a flea comb and all...

#2 Sparks

Sparks

Legend!

• Sponsors+
  • 16,618 posts
  • 325 topics
  • Local time: 07:17 AM
  • 2,201 likes

Current mood: Cheeky

Posted 30 November 2010 - 14:58 (02:58 PM)

some info i just found that may help :)

Precautions Against Pesky Fleas!

The month of March is the time to prepare for those annoying fleas. If you start off the month right, you can keep those fleas at bay. If you put a flea collar on your critter, do it now! Before the army of fleas attack. Start your dog on some yeast supplements. Sprinkle Brewers yeast on your kitties food. Brewers yeast makes your pets blood taste yucky to fleas.

Flea Proof Dog House

Sprinkle salt all around your dog house to keep fleas at bay. Don't forget to sprinkle the salt into all of the crevices of your dogs home. Then place a bed of fresh pine needles on the floor of the house. Cover with his favorite blankie and your good to go! Or try this great pet tip sent in by Cynthia Hanson; "To keep fleas out of you dog's house, surround the house (and underneath) with cedar chips. Fleas hate the smell of the cedar and stay away." Thanks for the critter tip Cynthia!

Fleas Hate Salt!

Besides protecting your dog house with a sprinkling of salt, try washing your pet with salt water. That is sure to kill those pesky fleas! Add some salt to your vacuum bag and vacuum often during flea season. This will kill the fleas that are trapped in the bag. Don't forget to vacuum the couches and chairs.

Dogs & Fleas

Start giving your dog Brewers yeast supplements in March. Or, just sprinkle the yeast into his food. You can even rub some Brewers yeast right onto his coat (a double whammy for those nasty fleas!). Sprinkle some Rosemary or Eucalyptus leaves under your dogs bedding (powdered Rosemary works in a pinch).

Flea Proof Your House!

Here is a homemade flea trap that won't cost you a dime. Take an old cake or pie pan and fill with water. Add a tablespoon of dish detergent. Place the pan under a nightlight. If you have a green bulb, use it in the nightlight (green works even better!). In the evening the fleas will jump into the pan and fleas can't swim!

8qYQp1.pngaward.gif
Newton's third law of Emotion: For every male action, there is a female overreaction.

#3 BingBlaze n Skyla

BingBlaze n Skyla

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 55,693 posts
  • 2,519 topics
  • 10,455 likes

Current mood: Tired

Posted 30 November 2010 - 15:03 (03:03 PM)

y cant it have flea treatment? just curious - think i heard something about abit of garlic (garlic tabs) helping? not sure how much

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 HuskyNewbie

HuskyNewbie

• Members..
  • 24 posts
  • 7 topics
  • 2 likes

Posted 30 November 2010 - 15:19 (03:19 PM)

I assume she could? I was just told that wolf hybrids cant have flea medication. *shrugs* So I thought i'd ask here haha... I'm going to try natural stuff first as it's not terribly bad and im not a big fan of those chemicals.

What about a salt water, vinegar bath? I've heard both are good for fleas. Then I do have a natural spray i'm going to put on once she's dry and get a flea comb as well...

#5 BingBlaze n Skyla

BingBlaze n Skyla

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 55,693 posts
  • 2,519 topics
  • 10,455 likes

Current mood: Tired

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:38 (04:38 PM)

not sure maybe send a PM to rachel - username - dygosamikita as she has a hybrid

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 SarahNukka&Shadow

SarahNukka&Shadow

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,981 posts
  • 180 topics
  • 1,069 likes

Posted 30 November 2010 - 17:10 (05:10 PM)

some info i just found that may help :)

Precautions Against Pesky Fleas!

The month of March is the time to prepare for those annoying fleas. If you start off the month right, you can keep those fleas at bay. If you put a flea collar on your critter, do it now! Before the army of fleas attack. Start your dog on some yeast supplements. Sprinkle Brewers yeast on your kitties food. Brewers yeast makes your pets blood taste yucky to fleas.

Flea Proof Dog House

Sprinkle salt all around your dog house to keep fleas at bay. Don't forget to sprinkle the salt into all of the crevices of your dogs home. Then place a bed of fresh pine needles on the floor of the house. Cover with his favorite blankie and your good to go! Or try this great pet tip sent in by Cynthia Hanson; "To keep fleas out of you dog's house, surround the house (and underneath) with cedar chips. Fleas hate the smell of the cedar and stay away." Thanks for the critter tip Cynthia!

Fleas Hate Salt!

Besides protecting your dog house with a sprinkling of salt, try washing your pet with salt water. That is sure to kill those pesky fleas! Add some salt to your vacuum bag and vacuum often during flea season. This will kill the fleas that are trapped in the bag. Don't forget to vacuum the couches and chairs.

Dogs & Fleas

Start giving your dog Brewers yeast supplements in March. Or, just sprinkle the yeast into his food. You can even rub some Brewers yeast right onto his coat (a double whammy for those nasty fleas!). Sprinkle some Rosemary or Eucalyptus leaves under your dogs bedding (powdered Rosemary works in a pinch).

Flea Proof Your House!

Here is a homemade flea trap that won't cost you a dime. Take an old cake or pie pan and fill with water. Add a tablespoon of dish detergent. Place the pan under a nightlight. If you have a green bulb, use it in the nightlight (green works even better!). In the evening the fleas will jump into the pan and fleas can't swim!

Sorry sparks most of that is all old wives tales! And come dogs with a more delicate stomach will actually be allergic to brewers yeast so not so good advice!

Garlic tabs on the other hand do repelle fleas, wont help if your dog already has them but can help keep them off once got rid of... As for hybrids not surposed to have flea treatments? Sounds suspiciously like an old wives tale but like Nix said Rachel will know for sure. :)
"The Husband is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness and kindness, can be trained to do most things."

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Sparks

Sparks

Legend!

• Sponsors+
  • 16,618 posts
  • 325 topics
  • 2,201 likes

Current mood: Cheeky

Posted 30 November 2010 - 17:12 (05:12 PM)

oops, i thought google had all the answers :lol:

Forget my previous post then sorry :(

8qYQp1.pngaward.gif
Newton's third law of Emotion: For every male action, there is a female overreaction.

#8 wolfmyth

wolfmyth

New Born

• Premium
  • 152 posts
  • 15 topics
  • 18 likes

Posted 30 November 2010 - 19:45 (07:45 PM)

Sounds like its time to flea bomb the place with the do it yourself spray can bomb kits. We do it every 1/2 year because we have an outdoors cat that just brings these lovely pests in. Need to get them everywhere or they will just keep comming back in numbers.
Posted Image

Home is where the heart is, both of mine are filled with husky love.

#9 dygosamikita

dygosamikita

Getting Addicted

• Premium
  • 2,365 posts
  • 58 topics
  • 469 likes

Posted 30 November 2010 - 20:00 (08:00 PM)

I have never heard anything about hybrids not having flea treatments. I have always used things like Frontline and Advantage for flea prevention and mine has never gotten fleas.

The only thing that I have ever heard about not giving hybrids is the rabies vaccine and this is not because it will harm them but because the law makers try claiming that it is not proven to be effective on them. It is illegal for a vet to knowing give a hybrid a rabies vaccination in some states.

I am not aware of any natural remedies for a flea infestation but in the past when I was younger the only way we got rid of them was bathing the animals in flea shampoo and setting off flea bombs in the house. I know it is more ideal to use natural remedies but fleas are very difficult to get rid of and some times the chemical treatments are the only thing that works.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Jennet Embry&Zoey&Ares

Jennet Embry&Zoey&Ares

There's No Place Like Home

• Premium+
  • 9,474 posts
  • 379 topics
  • 1,036 likes

Posted 30 November 2010 - 22:05 (10:05 PM)

nice info rachel +1

mj8i00.jpg

JKnFm5.png33V7m5.png5Cmtm5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users